1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Prius Sales Halved in 2020 in Japan

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 10, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    売れ行き半減!! どうした!? どうなる!?? プリウスはもう役目を終えたのか - 自動車情報誌「ベストカー」. (Japanese language)

Coles notes:

• Prius sales halved in 2020 (52.2% of 2019 sales). The Japanese market fell by only 7.6% so the Prius’ sales decline is significantly worse than the market
    • Prius and Aqua (Prius c) were #1 and #2 for small car sales in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016 (trading places)
      • It sold steadily in 2017 and 2018 before returning to #1 in 2019 following the midlife refresh
    • Part of it is due to the Corolla.
      • Corolla hybrid sales are 66% of total Corolla sales (sedan, hatchback and wagon)
      • Corolla wagon accounts for 48% of Corolla sales and within the wagon model, 76% of sales were the hybrid model
      • Corolla wagons are as well equipped or better equipped than the Prius, with a squared off cargo area for taller items.
    • Part of it is something to do with a change in Toyota Japan’s sales strategy and how it sells its models across its different type of dealerships (Toyota, Toyopet and one other) which increased the availability of other hybrid models within the Toyota lineup

#1 Tideland Prius, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 11, 2021
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting. i would like to know more. that makes it sound like they are purposefully slashing prius sales

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My neighbor just traded in her 2015 Prius C for a Detroit made hybrid that she said she wanted as soon as she sat down in it. The Aqua / C makes sense if you live in a crowded city, but way too small if you don't. As for the Prius line... The clean modest car with smooth lines ended with Gen2 and every iteration the lines get more harsh and more aggressive and not modest at all. Had they kept the original Gen2 look I've no doubt that it would of lasted as long as the corolla and camry. But there desire to make the Prius brand way more fancy only made it way more ugly.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    More standard hybrid deals to be had?

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What I did this weekend:
    • May 8, 2021 - drove 700 miles to visit Mom in Coffeyville KS. Tried to sleep over but the house was too warm so went to Best Western and had a good sleep. Found a 120 VAC outlet and added 30 miles to Tesla Model 3 while I slept.
    • May 9, 2021 - went to church with Mom. That afternoon, Zoomed with brothers who visited Mom. Left at 3 PM and arrived at Huntsville home at 7 AM, another 680 miles.
    Autopilot did over 90% of the driving. I did take a nap at a SuperCharger station but otherwise, normal safe driving. This weekend travel would have been less easy with our former, 2017 Prius Prime, because it did not do lane keeping.

I don't resent (nor even care) about our former Prius Prime. It was a fine but driver demanding car relative to our AutoPilot Tesla Model 3. Less bad than our previous Prius, the Prime is a better car but not in the same class as out Tesla.

If you like your Prime, good and go with God. Just I'm not the least bit tempted.

Bob Wilson

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I reckon the Corolla Wagon is the next best thing to the PRIUS - hasn't got the aero aids, but is more normal, and slightly more storage space than PRIUS - which is a bit like a small wagon anyway. I'd buy a Corolla Hybrid WAGON in a heartbeat.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps that could be the replacement for my son’s 2015 Prius v when he seeks to replace it. He kept his previous Prius for 10 years before upgrading to more cargo space.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. meeder

meeder Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Corolla wagon is very popular here in the Netherlands as well. Prius sales have been down a lot due to tax incentives being stopped.
    Without tax incentives the corporate leasing market isn't interested in a hybrid compared to other alternatives.
    Because diesel is quickly going away due to negative tax incentives there is a increased demand for the Corolla hybrid but not because it is a hybrid but because it is a affordable way to get an automatic transmission in a gasoline car. Most customers don't care if it is gas, hybrid or diesel as long as the tax rate is acceptable.

Tideland Prius and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Auris and recently Corollas became increasingly popular here in Portugal.
    Spotting a 4Gen Prius is difficult, the harder to find is the HV.
    Prius+ are still sold here (I have one MY2019), not many, of course there aren't big families requiring the extra seats.

If I were looking for a car, I would definitely consider the 4Gen Prius PHV, just because I can charge. Or the HV if I couldn't.
    Reasons are: less consumption, a different look and the hatch is very practical.

Tideland Prius likes this.