1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius sales up 54%; Camry Hybrid up 40%

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, May 1, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius is again the 3rd best-selling Toyota vehicle this month.

Toyota Reports April Sales
    05/01/2008
    May 1, 2008 - Torrance, CA - Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today reported April sales of 217,700 vehicles, a decrease of 4.5 percent from last April.
    "Smaller vehicles are going over big," said TMS President Jim Lentz. "With oil prices at record levels, compact cars and hybrids continue to lead the way."
    The Toyota Division posted April sales of 194,350, a decrease of 2.7 percent from last April. The Lexus Division reported April sales of 23,350 units, a decrease of 17.1 percent from the year-ago month.
    Toyota Division
    Toyota Division passenger cars recorded April sales of 121,097 units, up 7.2 percent over the same period last year. Passenger-car sales were led by Camry, which posted April sales of 40,016 units. Camry Hybrid reported sales of 6,678 units in April, up 40 percent over April 2007. The Prius hybrid gas-electric mid-size sedan posted best-ever April sales of 21,757 units, an increase of 53.8 percent over last April. Yaris reported best-ever April sales of 11,434 units, up 45.9 percent over the year-ago month.
    Toyota Division light truck sales were down 15.7 percent, with April sales of 73,253 units. Light truck sales were led by the Tacoma mid-size pickup, reporting April sales of 15,587 units. The Tundra full-size pickup posted April sales of 13,350 units. Highlander and Highlander Hybrid posted combined sales of 10,008 units in April. The Highlander Hybrid gas-electric mid-size SUV reported April sales of 2,578 units. Sequoia posted sales of 2,675 units for the month, up 24 percent over the same period last year.
    Scion posted April sales of 11,260 units, up 41.5 percent versus the year ago month. The xB urban utility vehicle led the way with April sales of 4,220 units, an increase of 232.1 percent over last April. The tC sports coupe, in its fourth model year, posted April sales of 4,119 units. The xD reported all-time best-ever sales of 2,913.
    Lexus Division
    Lexus passenger cars reported April sales of 13,766 units, a decrease of 22.1 percent from April 2007. Passenger-car sales were led by the ES entry luxury sedan with April sales of 5,439 units. The IS entry luxury sport sedan reported combined sales of 4,550 units. The LS flagship luxury sedan reported combined sales of 1,992 units. Sales of the GS luxury sport sedan reported combined April sales of 1,568 units.
    Lexus Division light trucks reported April sales totaling 9,584 units, down 8.6 percent from the year-ago month. The all-new LX 570 enjoyed sales of 799 units, an increase of 207.3 percent. The RX luxury utility vehicle posted combined April sales of 7,160 units. The RX 400h hybrid luxury utility vehicle reported sales of 1,624 units for the month, up eight percent over the year ago month.
    TMS Hybrids
    TMS calendar-year-to-date hybrid sales totaled 101,334 units. TMS posted April sales of 32,841 hybrid vehicles, an increase of 42 percent from last April. Toyota Division posted sales of 31,013 hybrids while Lexus Division posted sales of 1,828 hybrids.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's interesting that they didn't give the percent change for vehicles that dropped in sales, like the Tundra (-6%, according to Yahoo! news). The other site gave different percentage changes for the other vehicles (up 66% for Prius, 58% for Yaris), but I think that wasn't adjusted for the different number of selling days last year.

3. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    something that plays in the numbers is that toyota is making more pri to keep up with the demand. a year ago there weren't 10 pri sitting on the dealer lot to choose from.

4. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not that dealers have 10 sitting on the lots now...

We went on Sunday to attempt to buy Prius #2 and no luck. They were sold out, sold a bunch on Saturday. They tried to steer us towards a Matrix but we ended up getting a Scion xB. Disappointing that we couldn't get another Prius, but it's still a nice car.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    6-12 week wait around here

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wait a minute, you went to buy a Prius and ended up with a Scion xB? I don't get it. Why not just wait for the Prius?

7. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm... so you wanted a Prius but since they did not have one waiting for you right then... you got an xB instead???? Wow... talk about impatient.... I waited from february 14th to April 14th 2006 from when I ordered my car to when I took delivery... :( ahh, the good old days...

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As the price of gas goes up, so go Prius sales.

Someone had a nice graph.

I'm glad I got mine when expensive gas was still $2.29.

One good outcome of being excessed from my school site, I'll be able to bid on a position much closer to home, thus reducing my commute and gas consumption. There is ONE elementary school that is only a few blocks from my house. I could walk! But don't know if they'll have any openings in the Fall.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I go to the bakery for a meat pie but they have sold out of meat pies I might get a pastie but if I go shopping for a Prius and the dealer hasn't got any I think I would place an order for one from the next shipment rather than take another car altogether. Maybe I'd settle for my second preference colour or package but I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Prius.
    If I desperately needed a car I'd buy an old bomb and sell it when the Prius came in, well worth it.

10. Voidvoice

Voidvoice New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I may be lucky to find my car 2 weeks ago with the color and option I like, and pay about 1K less MSRP. Today New Yort Times report that compact cars sales jump and as everyone also see Prius sales very well... I wish one day i will see less of those big, monster like SUV on the road and street.
    One benifit of "forcing" people get smaller car, encourage them to trim body weight and size :D European can drive small car , why not US?.. Perhaps 50% of people are overweight is the reason.

11. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that not only has the spike in sales caught Toyota off guard, that's very surprising, but the next allocation has very very slim pickin's in replacement vehicles. That's VERY VERY surprising. Why would the next shipments from Japan have fewer vehicles intransit? I'd think that as fuel goes up more would be expected.

Production problems? Supplier problems? Frankly it does not compute.

Unless..... fuel goes up and up and up so finally the general buying public says 'we have to do something about this. let's go look at those Prius' we keep hearing about.' Frankly 'those Prius' sell themselves. But at the expense of what? What might those buyers have looked at if the Prius wasn't there? Probably the Corolla, just like at Honda and Ford ( record Focus sales ) and GM. Maybe this is a way to nudge the buying public to look at the new Corolla. "Nope we're all sold out of Prius'. We can take your order for July arrival if you want?" "Would you like to look at the new Corolla with leather and Navigation and Bluetooth?"

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, its Prius buying season. I'm seeing new ones all over the place.

Hope you get the walking distance job. I once had a job where I could walk to work and home in less than 5 min. It was great.

My GF still has a contract for next year, even though their school district is getting absorbed into a much larger one. But they have to change from year around schedule back to a traditional schedule, and she is getting less time off this summer. No guarantees about the future of her job.

13. nuclianba

nuclianba Jr Member? Thats what she said

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The more I read things like this (i caught the NYT article) the more i am counting my lucky stars for finding a prius in my color for 100 over invoice early this week (last one on the lot!). stock in this area is out at almost every dealership, and most are selling for MSRP....

I would wager that the sudden drop in inventories has some to do with toyota not expecting the run on the cars, but also a pre-planned steady drop to prepare for the 2009s...demand probably made that drop way faster and now inventory will be low until the 09 pops up.

14. scoop

scoop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I picked mine up Apr, 30. When I ordered it Apr 21, I was told May 7th or longer. Dealer called me this past Monday and said it was in Jacksonville and would be delivered to Atlanta on Tuesday. I picked it up Wednesday morning. They had it parked in front of the dealer after it had been prepped. While I was signing the papers, 3 people had come in and offered to buy it for cash. They were very envious when I drove off with it.

I work for a local TV station in Atlanta, Thursday they were doing a story on alternated ways our employees handled higher gas prices. All my co workers were all over my car wanting rides and information. That afternoon me and my car were on the 6pm news on being a new hybrid owner.

Today I just hit the 100 mil mark. Either my fuel guage does not work or I am not burning that much gas. In my F-150 I would be more than a quarter down.

What a car!

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Production lines are not kept open year round. There are cut off dates for orders, production, shipment, and delivery. The order date has passed. The last cars for 2008 are being assembled, shipped, and delivered. Toyota closes the factory for a national holiday and retooling for the next model year.