1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius sat for 1 year (P3190 No start)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jwang1800, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Jwang1800

Jwang1800 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I’ve been trying to rescue a 2nd gen prius (2007) I bought last year.

Originally when I bought it, the only issue was the plock mechanism which I fixed by replacing the actuator and replacing the 12v battery. Back then, it would start but would be smokey due to the pcv valve leaking oil into the manifold.

Now a year later after its been sitting, I’ve been trying to get the engine to start but it’s always dies after 7-8 seconds which I’m pretty sure means the engine isn't even starting.

I’ve tried these fixes:

-Replaced spark plugs with oem Denso
    -Replaced gas tank with gas tank from donor prius
    -Replaced PCV valve and cleaned intake manifold
    -Replaced fuel injector

I noticed that the exhaust is pushing air on start up, but it is cold and smells like unburnt fuel.

I’ve narrowed it down to either still another spark issue or bad gas that I wasnt able to drain from the donor fuel tank (donor tank sat for 2 years)

Would bad gas cause the car to not be able to combust?

Also I’m not too worried about starting the HV multiple times since I ended up buying a grid charger to recondition the hybrid battery.

Any help will be very, very appreciated!

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, old gas can cause all sorts of problems. Ideally you would pump the tank out and put in some fresh gas.

First, I would clean the throttle body bore. See what that does.