1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Saves my phone...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jan 16, 2004.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My family had just gotten into the car after watching a Disneyland Cast Member screening of Haunted Mansion. I was driving down the parking lot when strangely my screen flashed "Bluetooth Connection Failed". At first I thought my Nokia 3650 had just powered off again. But further checking of my pockets had revealed that it was indeed missing. So I parked again, and was able to return to the theater, fortunately able to find the phone.

Thank you Prius for letting me know it was missing :)

-Rick

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did everything look OK until you were down the road quite a bit? I didn't think the connection distance was more than a few feet from the car.

Maybe you can try a controlled experiment on this and let those of us struggling to get Verizon to provide a useable phone know what to look forward to...

3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The theater at Downtown Disney was probably 800-1000 ft from the car, and the phone was inside one of the theaters as it had dropped between two seats. I doubt the BT signal would have made it that far.

Side note, my USB Bluetooth Dongle can reach throughout my house, so it is possible for the signal to travel medium distances with the stronger "version". I don't believe Prius uses the stronger version (the correct term escapes me, but I want to say it's Class I and Class II).

Anyway, the Prius display will show "Bluetooth Connection Successful" when it connects, and will say "Bluetooth Connection Failed" if it doesn't find it within 1-2 minutes. It was the latter message that alerted me to the fact that my phone was missing.

-Rick

4. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Very cool.
    As an aside, what are all the extra icons at the bottom of your post and how did you get them there? I understand AIM and your Web site.

P.S.- How many posts to be "SENIOR" Prius poster, I'm green with jealousy :mrgreen:

5. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I will get my o4 hooked up to Bluetooth in a day or so. Do you mean to infer that you must leave the phone in the car at all times? When I get out, I take the phone into the house with me. If I get in the car without the phone, what will happen? Do I just get a message and does it go away after a minute or so? :D :D :) :) :? :? :oops: :oops: :!:

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those icons coincide with what you have in your personal profile. The YIM, ICQ, AIM and MSN are all instant messenger buttons. Those who are set up with the above can click on them and add the person to their instant messenger profile for offsite chats.

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No. If you don't have your phone with you, or you don't have it selected in the case of multiple phones, it will say "Bluetooth Connection Failed" for about 5 seconds, then disappear.

-Rick

8. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure how I got to that mark - 50 posts? Moderator modified? :D

-Rick

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    To quote myself...

I had an experience today though that did verify that it has some range.

I left my phone at my desk at work today while a few of us went out to play football during lunch. When I returned to park, I received a "Bluetooth connection successful." My desk is on the 2nd floor of the office, and I'd say it was probably 75-100ft away from where I had parked.

Pretty cool. I didn't try using it though, but I imagine the quality may have been "choppy" at best.

-Rick

10. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try it out, try it out!!! :)

Yes, for Senior Prius Poster you need 50 posts - since many people are approaching 100 I'll have to come up with something for it soon. Side note, in case you didn't see the post in the other thread, if you are a Pioneer Buyer and would like for your rank to signify that, I will change it - just contact me and I'll do it.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess that means that the car remembers that a Bluetooth phone was in it when last powered up, and tries to find it again after a restart.

I've left home without the phone before, but a 1-2 minute warning wouldn't put me too far away to turn back. Sounds good, if I ever get the right phone. No company I'd change to does Bluetooth here...

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sort of... if a phone is paired with the car and selected, it will try each time, not neccesarily if it was there last time.

-Rick

13. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bluetooth question

The best coverage where I live is Verizon. As yet, they do not have a Bluetooth phone. Is there a Bluteooth adapter I can plug into the headset jack of my Verizon phone (LG 510) to get at least the head set part of Bluetooth. I did use such a dongle which worked for the mic, earpiece, auto answer but it was a prototype and I couldn't take it home with from the CES in Las Vegas.

14. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've tried the Jabra for non-BT phones with no success in the Prius although it worked well with their BT headset. Good luck in your search.

15. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The adapter would have to comply with the handsfree protocol, which includes the ability to dial. This is more than most or all add-on pieces will allow at this time.