1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Seat Swap

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by mlibanio, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello everyone,
    I have a permanent spine injury to my lower vertabrae. I have a Generation 1 Prius. The pain while driving is tremendous. However, my mom's Yaris RS has excellent seats, and supports me very well. I know they won't fit, but does anybody know if the Echo RS seats will bolt in? The pain is so severe while driving that I am considering selling it. My doctor has advised this too, as she examined the seats and said they are of extremely poor design for human anatomy! I don't want to, but the pain is really bad. Anyone have any other idea's? I tried the newer Prius, but it has even less support on the lumbar area. The 2010 is great, but I can't afford one just yet. Anyone's help is sincerely appreciated.
    Matthew

2. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My personal recommendation is to sell the car. There are too many variable in switching seats, even if you were able to bolt it in, which I think is highly unlikely. You might try to get a later model Pruis which has much better seats. Sorry about your back.

3. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius seats are a known deficiency (hundreds of posts about them). Some people have installed a power lumbar support. Also, if it is lack of lumbar, there are aftermarket solutions that sit on the seat/against the back to provide more support. Finally, any seat that will physically fit in the space can be installed - it's all in how much work in cutting and welding brackets you have the capacity (or the help) to accomplish. Most wll be a LOT of work due to the way Japanese seats bolt in (they aren't just four bolts through the floor any more).

4. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True...but...don't forget about how the seat connects to the Prius safety system in terms of air bags. You CAN put any seat into the space but ANY seat won't talk to the car like the one you in your car now.

5. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah, and my G1 prius has Side Airbags, so I guess I would have to forever live with the airbag light on! Anyway, please keep the idea's coming. My heart aches because I love the car so much, but I just don't know what to do!

6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right - but the poster said his was a Gen I. Did the Gen I have seat-installed air bags? I thought those started in the Gen II in, like, 2005 or something.

As for the feedback for the computer, most systems monitor resistance. I've seen in forums for other cars that you can install a resistor in the circuit to "fool" the computer. Whether you wish to consider the lack of side airbags a safety issue or not is up to you.

7. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The point of my post was to make the OP aware that ANY seat that will fit into the space will work for comfort...but not necessarily for the safety system (your first post did not say anything about a "resistor"). Just making sure the OP doesn't run out and buy a seat that fits to then later find out they are losing some safety features.

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might try to find an upholstery shop that can do an orthopedic rebuild of the driver's seat. There used to be one near me where the guy would actually talk to your doctor about what you needed. He would add extra padding, inflatable bladders, indentations, whatever it took to fit you. Most of his business was for the seats in small airplanes. Seems it's rather tough to pull over and take a stretch when you're flying.

9. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Actually Rob that is an exceptionally good idea! I know a upholstery shop near where I live! I will give him a call tomorrow! And yes my 2002 does indeed have that extremely rare option of side airbags. Its totally and fully loaded, with Nav, cd changer and soon a mini disc changer as well.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen2 (04-09) is just 4 bolts into the floorboard, however, 3 are vertical and right rear is horizontal.

On to the OP with Gen 1 ..... hmmmm....

Assuming the seat is not damaged, first thing is to make absolutely sure the seat is adjusted optimally -

I like a comfortable reach to the brake pedal. I don't know about the Gen1, but the Gen2's gas pedal is curiously farther away than the brake pedal.

I solved this by purchasing a 'gas pedal pad' available at any auto parts store. I used some high density foam and double sided duct tape to layer the foam to bring the pedal pad maybe an inch closer. Sounds ghetto, but works solidly.

So, now, have a comfortable foot reach to gas and brake.

I like the seatback so it firmly supports all of my back and is mostly upright - little tilt back.

I don't like the steering wheel up really high, nor to reach for it, so the tilt is all the way down.

If you feel the seat bottom is uncomfortable - too short, hurts your butt or whatever, try off the shelf seat cushions or give a template to a foam shop - they are very inexpensive and quick. They can layer a wedge onto a flat base or whatever you want. Those shops are a great resource.

I don't have back probs and don't know about lumbar supports, but have seen them. Best to be able to return them if don't work for you.

About bolting another seat into your Gen1 - anything is possible with enough money thrown at it.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A toyota dealer can also refer you to a shop they use to have seats repaired.

12. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That is another great idea. I will have to investigate this too! Wow so many great idea's!