1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Shifter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by faxman, Jul 2, 2007.

1. faxman

faxman New Member

I just purchased a 2006 Prius here in Canada, it was a Arizona car and it has no owner's manual. These cars are currently very hard to obtain up North due to the demand in California and Arizone. I was just curious what the B symbol on the shifter stands for. I assume it is for coming down large hills and mountains to prevent excessive wear on the brakes.

I have put 100 miles on the car and have averaged 44 miles to the gallon. I love this car and have seen a few threads about ways to get even better mileage. Pardon the pun but I an green and still trying to learn all the aspects of this incredible car. We also own a 2004 Highlander, we plan to trade it soon for the Hybrid Highlander. I would appreciate any information this vehicle, look forward to beinga member on this great site.

Cheers Eh!

2. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome and congratulations on your purchase!

Yes, "B" is for added engine braking when of a steep or long descent and as such helps reduce brake wear. Once on the level (or going up hill) slip it back into drive (shifter to the left then quickly down) to disengage B, otherwise fuel economy will suffer.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You're right, that's when you the "B" on the shifter, for going down long hills.

4. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    B = Engine Braking. Use the search feature for more info.

5. faxman

faxman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 2 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]471576[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the quick response, I did not want to look like a dummy but I wanted to know for sure. This is one incredible car. I have a 60 mile commute eaxh way and now I am exploring the threads on pulse and glide and so forth. Thanks again.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CdnPrius06 @ Jul 2 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]471565[/snapback]</div>
    I have a copy of the 2004 Owners Manual on PDF if you would like a copy you can PM me your email address and I will be happy to send you a copy. There is not much difference in the 2004 and the 2006.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CdnPrius06 @ Jul 2 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]471595[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. Everyone is entitled to one bonehead question. We'll let you know when you use yours. :p You'll also want John's manual and Galaxee's service list.

John's user guide.

Having trouble posting two attachments.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jul 2 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]471654[/snapback]</div>

Attached Files:

8. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CdnPrius06 @ Jul 2 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]471565[/snapback]</div>
    We were considering purchasing our next Prius in the US so are curious as to what was involved in having the vehicle comply with Canadian vehicle standards eg DRL's etc?
    Gary

9. faxman

faxman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jul 2 2007, 02:03 PM) [snapback]471654[/snapback]</div>

Thanks very much! My work email is as follows and I am very grateful.

[email protected]

I am in the Canadian military and this is my work email.

Thanks Mike Fairfex

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CdnPrius06 @ Jul 3 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]472202[/snapback]</div>

This response is to Canuck in Duncan BC. By the way I left Victoria 3 years ago with a military transfer to Winniped. I purchased my 06 Prius from a dealer here in Winnipeg. They are so hard to get here at the moment and there is a 5 month waiting list to order one from a dealer.

I found mine on the BuySell website, just put a vehicle search on a Prius in your area and all the ones available will show up. I absolutely love my vehicle, traded a Passat VR6 and I love my Prius. Thanks to all the members on this site for the guidance. 50 miles to the gallon is awesome and all the gadgets is also very cool. I almost bought the Civic hybrid because it was cheaper and I am so glad now that I did not.

regards Mike