1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius softare updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mstrkoffee, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mstrkoffee

mstrkoffee New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does any one know if there are software upgrades or updates that the service center can perform on the vehicle? Having issues with the radio/bluetooth for instance is there an update that they can do to the vehicle?

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Unfortunately, Toyota is not in the practice of offering any upgrades for Bluetooth software. Since the Bluetooth functions are controlled by your Multi Function Display and partially by a seperate module, there is no way to have this done. I am sorry to say that Toyota and Lexus have some of the poorest support for Bluetooth I have ever encountered. My 2002 Chrysler Neon has Bluetooth built in (yeah, Chrysler had the forsight to offer that years ago!), and it supports my brand new Nokia just as well as my old Motorola. I am sorry that it does not help you in any way. Here is a list of compatible phones from the Toyota Lets Talk website, and procedures on how to pair them properly with the Toyota system. Its a miserably small list of phones, but I hope it helps.

LetsTalk.com - Cell Phone Specials+

Take care, and all the best.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Availability of firmware updates seem to be related to the powertrain ECUs, for example the engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs. The firmware was revised several times for older 2G model years.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Patrick. How do you get these ECU updates if you have an older model (mine is Dec 2004). Will the Toyota dealership load them for you as part of regular servicing if you request it?

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Usually the firmware updates are made available via SSC (Special Service Campaign) aka recall. In the US, there were a couple of SSCs relating to firmware, for 2004/2005 model year Prius.

I had driveability problems with my 2004 a couple of months ago and the dealer updated the firmware in the engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs, which seemed to help since the problems went away.

You'll have to check with your Australian Toyota dealer to see what the practice is, but if you don't have a specific driveability issue then you'll probably have to pay for this to be done. Assuming that to be true, if you don't have a problem then why worry.

6. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow reviving this thread 6 years later! How would I know if any updates to the software on my 2005 have been done? Do you think I should go to the dealer and just ask if they can check and see if my 2005 is eligible for any updates? or is that dumb

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not dumb, that is a very reasonable request. You may be charged for any work done to your car.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, okay so i just got home form my local Toyota dealer (Toyota of Murfreesboro) i pulled in the service bay, A guy asked me what he could help me with. I told him i came in to see if my car had any software updates/upgrades, He asked if I've ever been to that dealer before (i have) and told him yes.

He never asked for my name, or got my vin number.. But yet he went to his computer and scrolled up and down on the screen for a minute then said "nope theres nothing" i also told him how i seem to get "bad" as in 38-42 mpg on the highway (i know!! still better than most cars, and i shouldn't be a brat and complain!) I said, "maybe the alignment is off", he said "no alignment doesn't effect mpg!" okay........ The funny thing is, all the cars get a free alignment at that dealer, the car in front of me was getting an alignment as we spoke. I actually think my car doesn't need an alignment, but hey for all they know it could be totally out of line. For all they knew my car could have been anything for a 2004 to a 2009.
    they just didn't want to help.

I think sometimes ill stop by the Nashville dealership

10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A