1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Specs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by babsrocks, Apr 11, 2005.

1. babsrocks

babsrocks Junior Member

I will be interviewed this week about my Prius for our local paper. I wanted to give the reporter some specific info on the Prius. One thing that I have not gotten a consistent answer on is the HP of the Prius. Toyota says the gas engine has 76 HP and the electric motor has 67, although Motor Trend says it has a max HP of 110, Edmunds report max HP at 76. So what is the max HP? Could you possibly get 143 (adding gas & Electric together)? Since they do both run at the same time to achieve max power or fuel efficiency.
    Also other than telling her about the great fuel efficiency, cool gadgets, and how much I enjoy this car, what else should I talk about?
    Oh and I will tell her about great sites like priuschat.com to get some great info.:)

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(babsrocks\";p=\"80333)</div>
    The car is programmed not to allow engine and the motor to operate at peak power simultaneously.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well it's not 143 for sure. It's either 106 or 110. 110 being Toyota's figure and 106 being the engine + battery hp.

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/specs.html

Gasoline Engine power: 76 hp @ 5000 rpm
    The vehicle speed at 5000 rpm is relatively high, like highway speed.

Electric Motor power: 67 hp @ 1200-1540 rpm
    The vehicle speed at 1540 rpm is 27 MPH.
    So, we can't use total 143 hp at the same time.

The specification says "Hybrid System Net Power: 110 hp (82 kW)".
    Following page says "Maximum output in kW: 82 kW/85 km/h or higher".
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environmen...ths2/speci.html

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The sustainable power is 76HP, as all of the sustainable power has to come solely from ICE, even if part of that HP is converted to electric power and delivered to the motors.

However, peak unsustainable kinetic power can combine ICE power and battery power.

Now power is different than torque. You can provide tons of torque, but not move thus have a net kinetic power of 0, though the power to create that force would go into generating heat. Motors can give lots or torque, esp at low speeds. IC Engines have to turn with enough RPM in order to provide decent torque, that's why cars have shifting gear ratios.