1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius splash guard replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by a1rjumpman23, Jun 13, 2011.

1. a1rjumpman23

a1rjumpman23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I recently was involved in a accident on the freeway where it involved two mattresses and my car. The outcome of that was the shield or the guard under my car is really messed up. In addition, the right fender liner has also came off. So what i did was used electrical tape to hold them up, for now. I went to the body shop hoping it would be cheap to fix but there estimate ranged from 600-1000. Now to me that is really expensive just to replace the plastic guard. Do you guys know if its easy to replace these myself?

Here are the picture to show you guys the damage by the beds. ='(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch... well it could have been worse. There was one person on here last year that lost the car to a mattress as it caught on fire while under the car!

At that price you ought to consider an aftermarket bumper kit. :)

Or you can order the parts through a place like parts.com, get it painted and put it on yourself.

3. a1rjumpman23

a1rjumpman23 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How much does aftermarket bumper kit usually cost? The oem part is around 250 i think but not sure. I was planning to purchase the parts from parts.com then maybe the body shop could paint and install it for me. Im not sure which route would be cheaper, but thats why im on this site. haha. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for ur advice spiderman!

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buying the parts and having a shop paint to match will likely be the cheapest route.

It looks like you will need the bumper skin and the main under cover... yes? The dealer should help you get the part #s and give you a quote for them. Then go to parts.com and compare (for me that usually means 1/2 price).

5. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced a front bumper cover on my daughter's 2005 Prius last year.
    My suggestion is to do a lot of Googling and shop around. I found that an after-market part was cheaper, even with the shipping. Also, look to see if they offer to pre-paint the cover. To my regret, I spent a lot of time and money trying to paint it myself; the results were less than stellar.

The removal and replacement of the bumper cover is a trivial affair which took me about 45 minutes.

6. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Main undercover, aka splash shield, part number is 51410-12103. my dealer just replaced mine at no charge as "good will" due to recurring problems.