1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

prius spoiler repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vemvim, Aug 4, 2010.

1. vemvim

vemvim Junior Member

I backed up with the back door up into the garage door and now the spoiler wobbles. I can see it has been "torn" from its moorings but it is still attached but wobbles. Any suggestions about repairing it? The dealer says that the only way he would fix it is to remove the spoiler and put a new one on and it will cost about $500.00.
    Vembar

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could probably repair the old spoiler for less than $500. Even if you had to buy a second hand one and have it repainted, it should cost less than a new one through the dealer. Is there a local body shop that could give you a quote? It's possible the existing spoiler could simply be reattached.

3. klobbinator

klobbinator New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to go to another repair shop. My spoiler was also tweaked (but by someone else) There are hard plastic rivets underneath that need to be replaced, possibly the seal. Total cost should be less than 100. I went to two different repair places: I called the local Toyota dealership and asked who they recommended. They gave me two companies, both of which I went to.

4. klobbinator

klobbinator New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to mention: the dealership recommended the places because they did not do body work.

5. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you may run into more problems than you realize with painting, etc. I had to have a bit of repair done to my spoiler...it was busted. The spoiler are plastic and are ordered in the car color, they cannot be painted, as I was told. My dealer (Beaman) (largest in the southeast) does have a body shop and this is what they had to do.

6. robert562

robert562 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a factory spoiler for a 2010 prius for sale. There's two small (less than an inch) scratches on it. I'm selling it for $250. Let me know if your intrested.

7. Bambam650

Bambam650 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I posted my repair method on another tread, but basically there are (5) bolts that are embedded into the bottom side of the spoiler which bolt through the hatchback lid and are fastened with nuts. I tried to reglue the bolts to the spoiler, but nothing stayed glued. I ended up drilling a hole completely through the spoiler at the (5) bolt locations and attaching it with a flat head screw, washer, and nut. I painted the screw heads black and counter sunk them into the spoiler for a flush finish. The total cost of the repair was around $5 and I think it looks pretty good.

8. svldvc

svldvc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Spoilers CAN be painted...just painted one 2 weeks ago...PERFECT paint job :D :D