1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Spousal Effect

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tappel, Feb 20, 2004.

1. tappel

tappel New Member

I buy my cars, my wife buys hers.
    She supports my choice of a Prius (due in June).
    Her concern is my time spent on this board. She has reviewed some of the threads...most recently Tag's "If....". She is worried about the effect a purchase may have. We have a solid 20 marriage.
    Question is, How can a sensible choice of a car be grounds for concern?
    Is there a history of marital strife here?
    Need to know.
    Tom

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't say that my Prius has caused too much strife with my wife. The trouble is she enjoys driving my Prius more than her Volvo S80 T6. I also much prefer my Prius to her car so I have to be careful to hide my keys at times.

The end result of the Prius lust is my wife will probably buy the Lexus hybrid or the Highlander. She may be able to get me to drive one of those to remove strife.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife nearly lost touch of me with the amount of time I used to spend on the 2004 Yahoo Group. If you're brave, dig back into the archive between messages 1000 and 12000, I was quite active.

My marriage of 3 years was strained. Wayne Brown was constantly "thanking my wife" because of it - and thanked her again when we met in person (along with Jennifer Hartman and Dianne, who was treating us to dinner) after he picked his '04 up from Dianne.

The group was getting to know me, and my wife was starting to forget. I was having to promise not to "group" until after everyone else went to bed. That would last, like, 2 days... LOL I was extremely excited about getting my car - I had to know just about everything there was.

I then took delivery of Jennifer's car for a weekend, then the next weekend, my own came. I posted some info on my car, being one of the first to get theirs. However as more of the members either got their own, or were able to test drive, the info was becoming less in demand. I finally stopped following every thread, and stopped answering every (repeated) question. I stopped reading the Owners Guide, NCF, and Repair Manuals cover to cover. I got a life again :) I still enjoy chatting about the car and sharing knowledge, but I've learned to do so in moderation. My marriage has also improved somewhat because of it.

Listen to your wife - she may be concerned that you are spending alot of time. You'll (hopefully) soon learn how to divide your time.

4. cybele

cybele New Member

If it's any consolation, it works the other way, too.

My husband notes that I'm way too interested in my moment-to-moment mileage, how I like to recount my observations about these things on the boards and he doesn't understand why I would want to take a photo of where I put my tissue box in the car.

But he also recognizes my enthusiasm and the fact that for the first time in my life, I'm really happy with my car. It's my first non-compromised purchase. I feel so grown up.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My wife knows exactly what to say.

I was looking at getting a package 7 because of the cost savings (skinflint that I am). After all I really didn't NEED the Nav, Bluetooth, Voice Goodies etc.

So when I took her to a test drive, the first thing she said after it was over was "You HAVE to get a package 9. There's simply no other option, tell them you won't accept anything else"

I said "why"?

She said "Because you're a GEEK!"

It's nice when things work out, and your spouse knows you so well :)

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Cause and effect?

7. penpendisarapen

penpendisarapen New Member

Save your marriage... post from work. :D

8. Batavier

Batavier Member

Hehe, indeed. That's the way to do it :)

9. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I think it was Volkswagen that had a TV commercial where the husband was reading the owner's manual and got all excited and ran out to the driveway to test opening/closing his windows with the key fob, and acted like he had discovered the greatest thing since sliced bread. The wife just stands there in the doorway rolling her eyes.

I guess I've already passed through the "self-astonishment" phase with this car. I've now entered the "come look and see" phase where I drag unsuspecting passers-by to the car to show them the cool features...

10. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My wife was objecting to any thought of trading in her 1980 Toyota Corona!

11. olends

olends New Member

My girlfriend is very understanding, and will on weekends when she is driving, slow down as we pass a toyota dealership and allow me to spot any potential prius.

now when i rent one for a week, maybe that will be more stressful

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ha! If I had a wife I wouldn't be wasting my time on internet chat boards!

13. tag

tag Senior Member

Oh yes you would (if that's how you were told to waste your time)! :wink:

14. myride

myride Junior Member

my girlfriend loved her truck (03 toyota tocoma prerunner doublecab) till i got her to test drive an 04 prius. she loved the car and the options. told me i cant get anything but the #9 and that was that. i got the silver with #9 and even some extras.
    she wants one for herself and will get it loaded too. as for the car being a problem with the misses it comes down to who can get in the driver seat first. :)

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Over the weekend, my wife sat down with our cat and explained that I'm getting a new geeky toy and they might not see me for large stretches of time. Even though I promised to nerd out only after they go to bed, it was no consolation. I assured them that I would play with the voice activation only during my commute, but they are afraid that I will talk to the car more than I talk to them. I think she fears what the neighbors might think when I sit in the driveway alone in the car talking to myself.

I fear an intervention.

16. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You have to get the cat on your side quickly. Take the cat for a ride as soon as you get the car. Let the cat use the Voice Commands.

17. CHART

CHART Member

When my 91 Honda Accord EX started showing signes of its age, my wife actually recommended that I test drive a Prius. Knowing me as the geek that I am, she strongly suggested that is what I should buy. She thinks that the gas and brake are too soft, but even she fell in love with the amenities. She also likes the 50 MPG + and soon wanted a hybrid Sienna. We looked during our vacation and realized that the Sienna was just redesigned, so the odds of it being totally redesigned in the next few years was slim, so....she bought a brand new, non-hybrid Sienna, which she loves! It has 8 passenger seating and many nice amenities. She misses the Nav system and Smart entry / smart start, but she loves her new van. We went from a two Honda family (Accord and Odyssey) to a two Toyota family (Prius and Sienna.)

I do make fun of her mileage (high nineteens.) I also make fun of her new forum that she visists (http://www.siennaclub.org) I mean come on....it is just a van.....

18. obiwan

obiwan New Member

Houston - West, near Westheimer and Beltway
    Well our Prius is really there as a replacement car for my wife's 93 Aerostar (which REALLY takes some serious adjustment.)

I get to do the geeky things (Can't wait for a cool weekend to put the XM radio in). My wife gets to be stylish.

Witness last night when on the way home she gets her first Prius groupies showing up at a grocery store parking lot.

SHe's happy - I'm happy - it's ALL good :multi:

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My wife thinks I am obsessed. I only do the internet thing when she is working or I am at work. She thinks the car is a car, but then she thinks all cars are just cars. If she was in charge every company would make the same car just in different colors. She does like the low emissions and good milage.

20. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

Thats funny David, my partner wants to drive my Salsa 9 all the time now...I used to beg to drive his S60...funny how the situation has reversed itself!

Mark