1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Squeaking Dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 58teeth, Apr 12, 2010.

1. 58teeth

58teeth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there-

Recently we've noticed that the Prius is making this very high pitched squeak when we drive. Nothing when we break...only when we're moving. It *sounds* like it's coming from the dash/windshield area, but, it's so hard to tell. Any small little shake to the vehicle causes it, and, when we're driving, it's almost unbearable.

Besides turning up the volume of the radio :)D), has anyone ever experienced this? I've tried to re-create it while stopped by pushing down/shaking random parts of the dash, but, no luck.

Any ideas?

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Squeaks can be difficult to locate and then also difficult to fix. But a common one in the dash area is the plastic trim in the tiny A-pillar window. When you hear the squeak try pressing down on it (a passenger will have to do the passenger side) and see if the noise changes. Other than that... press on all different parts of the dash WHILE you hear the squeak in motion and check the contents of the glove box. Try sitting in the passenger seat yourself and listening, a different perspective might help locate it better. Good luck and be sure to update when you find and fix it!

- D

3. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my body shop gave me a brand new aftermarket side mirror after I got side swiped and I had a high pitched noise above 40mph, he then gave me a used OEM mirror and the noise went away, visually I couldn't see any difference b/t the mirror but i'm pretty sure toyota tests in a wind tunnel and smaller companies do not.

my problem was easy to diagnose, but the body shop guy says most noise problems are difficult to pinpoint so best of luck to you lad

4. 58teeth

58teeth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do!! Now, if I can only convince my wife to get in the car with me...the squeak drives her crazy :D:D

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The whistle noise at high speed probably comes from one or two open holes in the mirror housing. The holes on the underside of the Prius mirror housing are covered with tape and if the tap falls off then comes the whistle.

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  7. ernie1

ernie1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had the same problem in my 2008 Prius and agree that the noise is coming from the area adjacent to the little window in the A pillar. I believe the noise is exacerbated by the attachment of the vent duct from underneath and I've noticed the problem is much worse when the weather is cold outside and the noise goes away when it get warm. I fixed it by wedging some black foam between the glass and the plastic panel that has the duct connected to it. The bottom of the glass has a black band around it and hides the foam well.

8. depriusoto

depriusoto Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife's 2007 has this sqeaky sound in the dash also. Except for her it gets worse when the tempature goes up - 80s-100s. Goes away in the winter...Haven't taken it to the dealer yet as I don't know if this is covered by the extended warranty.
    Ed

9. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try tightening up the screws in the glovebox.