1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Start button usurped!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    =). The Renault Laguna had the 'keyless' intelligent system back in 2000 or 2001. Slot the card into the dash, press start. Press stop and the card ejects.

However, Toyota is incorporating that button in its cars now. Aside from the Prius and GS, there's the Corolla Verso and new 05 Vitz (also with SKS) and of course our new Avalon.

Other new cars with the button include the new 06 3 series and 1 series

3. xevious

xevious New Member

The bad news is we're not quite as elite a group anymore.

The good news is that this very cool and useful technology is on its way to becoming much more mainstream. That means more people will have the pleasure of using it and (more importantly) when ours breaks down, the cost of repair will be significantly (or at least slightly) less unbearable.

Go Toyota!

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    uniqueness is a bad thing.

the Prius should be showing the way, not exclusifying it.

5. XravenX

XravenX New Member

Lexus already had it before the Prius. It is just being advertised better. Besides, if they don't put it into more cars they might take it away from us.

6. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mercedes had this type of technology a few years ago as well too. It was in their S class vehicles.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "To Go Before" Prius That’s us! I believe (hope?) that Toyota chose that name because they intend the Prius to be the Beta test car for new technologies. It will be the vehicle that Toyota uses to test what is new, pushing the edge. Those who are tolerant enough to put up with a few problems, but want the best technology has to offer will drive the Prius and thus far they will be well supported Toyota who need tolerant, adventurous, and dedicated people the work out the last few bugs before the new technologies are placed into the rest of the car lines. Prius the place for emerging personal transportation technologies.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keyless Go! for MB. Flipping up the cover over the shifter is quite cool. Unlike the Prius, you have to twist the ignition to the ON position, then press the start button. To turn off, you just twist the ignition to the OFF position. So it's only cool to start the car but not to stop lol

9. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While keyless start and entry is perhaps a bit expensive currently to become mainstream, the push-button start simply makes more sense than your typical turnkey ignition. Logically, all cars should eventually be push-button, and it certainly seems as if we're headed in that direction.

Of course, if there's one industry that hates innovation as much as it encourages it, it's the automotive industry, so any major change of people's habits, no matter how dumb, will take a looong time. Radial tires took 30 years, I think.

In any case, most cars are pretty darn uninspiring, blandly styled, old-fashioned, and flat-out boring. Part of the appeal of the Prius for me was that it is, in a very strong sense, a buyable concept car, albeit a bit more developed ;). I'm glad to see that the Prius has proved that different ideas, like a push-button start, are marketable. I, for one, think they're pretty darn cool.

10. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Hey guys, Lexus is owned by Toyota. Toyota is not stealing their own technology!

11. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most of us know that. Any friction there might be seems to originate from the fact that the Prius isn't as unique anymore. :mrgreen:

Sure, I miss the uniqueness a bit, for even if the Prius wasn't the only push-button car, it was the cheapest and probably most common. It still is for now, but that fact is certainly soon to change. The fact that the push-button was that unique in the first place is silly, so in the end, I'm glad to see it being marketed up a good bit.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [pout mode]
    NO! It\'s our button!
    Couldn’t they have made some hoity-toity version and leave us our very own button?
    I donwanna share with no poopie Lexus! Whaaaaa

[/pout mode]

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :lolup:

As I've said before, even the lowly Vitz has a push button start (with optional SKS).

Oh well, at least we're unique as in the Toyota brand. Frankly, I like our buttons better since the BMW ones (1 and 3 series) look rather tiny

14. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Just like the Honda S2000. It has a push button start and stop. Its not like toyota invented this thing. Its been around before toyta used it.

15. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Oh, yea. It's a push button start and stop, not power; like the prius has. :mrgreen:

16. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What the heck is a Vitz? :mrgreen:

17. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

They should just call it the Toyota Zit. :mrgreen:
    You can see it in GranTurismo 3 or 4, if you have it.
    It's pretty ugly.