1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Startup Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Thehoganknight, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Thehoganknight

Thehoganknight New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I have a 2009 Prius. I have had to jump it multiple times in the past month. I don't know if it is user error or system failure. Here's what happens: I get into my car and plug the key into the slot. I put my foot on the brake and press the start button. The lights come on and the "Press to Start" has a red light. The "Maint Req" comes on along with the orange triangle. The gas and other lights flash. The shift in unresponsive. To turn it off I have to hold the "Press to Start" for around 10 seconds. I do this until the car dies. I jump the car and look at the battery level which is normally green or top-level blue. The car then runs for a day, then in the morning, the same thing happens.
    HELP

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like you need a new 12 volt battery. It is found under the right rear floor boards in the rear hatch area. I would refrain from jump starting as much as possible and get a new battery as soon as possible. I believe once you do that your problems will go away.

12battery2.jpg

#2 dorunron, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The battery level display is for the hybrid battery, not the 12 volt.