1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius steering column shift not working

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by merdad, Aug 18, 2010.

1. merdad

merdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone
    My friend has a 2003 Prius that suddenly stopped running. The steering column shift moves but the rectangle which encloses the P, R, and D on the front screen of the car only encircles B when changing the gear. The car does not move forward nor backs up ( only moves slowly when it is on B) and the red triangle and the "main battery" warning lights are on. It never had any battery problems or any shifting problems. I asked a mechanic about it and he said it may be the shifting gear itself turning bad and needs to be changed. Does anyone have any Idea?
    I tried to find codes but OBDII did not read any codes.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First check the 12 V battery. With the car off, over 12 V. With the car running, 13.8 V. A problem with the 12 V system can induce other, somewhat random problems.

The shifter inputs go to the hybrid vehicle ECU that is found under the passenger side, sloped floor. It is possible that the connectors or the unit itself is bad. Reseating the connectors (with power off) is always OK.

Finally, the shifter is connected to a set of wires and a resistor network that connects to the HV ECU. This is buried in the dash. However, it can be 'ohmed out' at the HV ECU: Prius Hybrid Vehicle ECU

Bob Wilson