1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Stereo Volume not Working

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Kristy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My Gen 1 stereo volume doesn't work at all anymore. Of course this happens when someone who wanted to buy it is checking it out, and we leave for Brazil next week. Everything on the display is normal, the cassette player isn't making weird noises, but no radio or ipod hookup volume whatsoever. I'm worried someone who was testdriving it last week might have been pressing random buttons, but we've tried pressing most of 'em and still no dice. But also, it has been very humid in west LA this past week and I was reading on another priuschat thread for a Gen 2 with similar issues this might have related to it, but it seemed uncertain. Is this what happens when speakers die? Anything I should try? Thanks for your time!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Kristy,

When you say your volume doesn't work, do you mean you're not getting any sound at all, whether you turn the knob all the way up, all the way down, or anywhere between?

In a quiet place, if you turn it all the way up, can you hear any buzz or hum through the speakers? If you open the driver door with the shifter in D, do you hear a bong?

-Chap

3. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for your time! No, no sound whatsoever, regardless of where I turn the know. I did turn it all the way up in a quiet place, and no buzz or hum at all. And no bong with shifter in D.

4. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Er...knob, not "know."

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Were you testing it with a cassette tape?

The reason I ask is I use a cassette tape adapter and occasionally I have to hit "tape" button to get audio. It is as if there are modes that have to match to get audio. I don't use the radio nor the CD any more.

Bob Wilson

6. Kristy

Kristy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did, but I also switched it to radio, and while it looked like it was getting radio stations/switching, no volume at all.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've never seen a posting about a dead radio before, but maybe you could be the first.

If you unplug R2 and R3 at the back of the radio and then touch pins of the plugs (on the wire harness, not the sockets on the radio) with some wires on a small battery (for example AA) you should be able to make clicky sounds from the speakers:

R2 pins 2 to 6: left rear, 1 to 3 right rear
    R3 pins 2 to 6: left front, 1 to 5 right front

If you can make the speakers click I'll bet the output amp in the radio is kaput. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't make any of the 4 speakers click - some strange simultaneous failure or wiring problem? Unless - some previous owner added an aftermarket amp between the radio and speakers, and something is wrong with that.

-Chap

8. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful with Gen1 dash panels, lately they all seem to crumble when taking apart to access the radio. The plastic is old and brittle, especially in dry climates.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good point. At one time I found I could pretty easily reach the plugs on the back of my radio just by removing the glove box and reaching over. IIRC the sockets are all on the side of the radio near the glove box opening, except the antenna cable socket which is over in the far corner.

-Chap