1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius stock wheels: anodized, coated ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Doc Willie, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Spending the winter reading up on detailing in advance of the eventual arrival of spring and car show season, I have come up on the subject of detailing wheels.

In picking which product to use on the wheels, I need to know how the wheels are finished. Are they (stock wheels, standard model Prius, plastic rings removed) anodized, painted or bare alloy?

And what are folks experience with various wheel cleaning and protecting product on the Prius wheels/

I am interested mainly in cleaning and protecting the wheels. Ultra shine is not important as I cover them with moon disks for shows.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just clean em with car wash and wax and wax them every so often with car wax which keeps em easy to clean. Treat the wheels like the rest of the car exterior. I believe they are painted.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wheels are painted.

Since the Prius generates very little brake dust from the front brakes, strong cleaners aren't needed. I use DP (Detailer's Pride) Gel Wheel Cleaner. It's a very mild wheel cleaner, too mild to clean wheels with heavily caked brake dust.

DP Gel Wheel Cleaner

I don't apply any protection since the brakes barely dust at all. On cars that dust heavily I sometimes apply DP Wheel Glaze.

DP Wheel Glaze cleans and protects all types of wheels! Durable wheel polymer wax coating protects wheels from brake dust adhesion and corrosion.