1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius strange noise help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Woodsinhabitant, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Woodsinhabitant

Woodsinhabitant New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi all, I purchased a higher mileage gen 2 Prius. It has a strange intermittent chirping/rattle noise coming from the engine compartment at all times even when vehicle is off. The EV part also does not work as it should it stays on for a couple of seconds and then just goes back to normal engine. Any advice appreciated thanks.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, you need to be more specific.

For example, by "even when vehicle is off" what do mean?
    What exactly is "the EV part" and are your expectations for it?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    09 is a generation 2 the original body style not the coupe.? EV mode eh? I guess my EV mode has never worked I generally get between 43 and 48 mi to the gallon on a $300,000 mi vehicle that was rated to get 47.1 miles to the gallon I won't be complaining . Maybe record the noise I would say it's one of your brake pumps or your inverter pump running and maybe you're not used to that kind of noise possibly.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Strange chirping and whirring noises can be associated with a brake actuator problem. All these cars have this problem eventually, as they age. Replacement cost for a new one will be around $2000 or less if you buy used part and DIY (with the right equipment to bleed the brakes after)