1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Suffers from Wife Damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by morpheusx, Jun 17, 2008.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I agree to let the wife take my Prius 3 times a week to school because its a 90 mile round trip while my job is about a 45 mile round trip. No problems the first month other then her leaving a bit of trash and scattering text books all over my back seat. Now in the last month she scraped a rim its not that bad and hardly noticeable but its annoying. Then somehow she managed to scrape the paint off the edge of the drivers door like she swung the door into something again its more of an annoyance and is barely noticeable unless you are like me and wash your car by hand every weekend. Even worse this past week she decides to not pay attention and taps the pickup truck in front of her waiting to make a left hand turn. Of course she claims he rolled backward but I still say it doesn't matter if he did or not she was too close.
    Total damage this time is $280 to the guys old pickup (bumper needs repainted I guess.) I look at my Prius and other then the License plate bracket being all mangled up it was barely noticeable except one thing the little teeth in the upper part of the grille broke. Total damage for my front end $711 (glad I have the $100 deductible). Thinking it might be time to trade the wife in for a new model. LOL

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just explain to her that your next wife won't have these problems because she already owns her own Prius. :D

3. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well she must have other attributes and qualities that make up for her bad driving
    right? right?

:)

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like she's impatient?
    If so, I'm sorry to say there is no solution, other than new wife, or give her a different car, or stop looking at your dissolving Prius.

ZC1

5. Didenze

Didenze New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    LOL! You've got a point there! J/K!
    This past weekend both my boyfriend and I put down a deposit for our own Pruis... and yes it just might be a little too much for the neighbors when we eventually park them side by side upfront. But that's another story. So we've been speculating and trying to guess which one of us will get their car first. He mentioned the other day that since he has a long commute to school several days a week, I should let him use my car if it gets here first. I told him he would need to commit to no eating and drinking of any sort, as well as sanitizing his hands and taking his shoes off upon entering if I was to even consider letting him borrow it... I don't believe I've ever seen him so agreeable about anything!!
    I am, however, a lot more picky about the color and package so I am still secretly hoping he'll get his Prius first so I won't have to share :)

6. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will be using that one on her.

Yes She has other qualities that more then make up for it. LOL

7. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Buy another Prius and let the wife drive the one she's already banged up!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm wondering why the damage estimate for your car is so high. Does the front bumper cover have to be removed and repainted?

If you are talking about the black plastic grille being damaged, those parts are pretty inexpensive: $47 MSRP for the center portion, $18 MSRP each for the two side pieces.
    DiscountToyotaParts

It is possible to repaint the wheel that was damaged, BTW. I assume that the damage goes beyond the plastic trim piece, into the aluminum wheel itself.

9. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I second that!! Good suggestion!

10. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Its the teeth behind the chrome part of the upper grille. I am at work and don't have my estimate handy on how they broke down the price of paint and labor but I do rememeber these items.
    They are replacing the entire front bumper cover $199
    chrome grille piece is $80
    license plate frame $40

I'll scan it tonight and pictures if I can remember.

11. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I third this one. lol

12. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know how she feels, sort of: last time I borrowed her car I hit a deer at 65 MPH, $3.5k damage. After that I'd rather call for a cab than borrow it again :(

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Read the post again. It's the pickup truck that was damaged, not the Prius.

Tom

14. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Re-read the post: I look at my Prius and other then the License plate bracket being all mangled up it was barely noticeable except one thing the little teeth in the upper part of the grille broke. Total damage for my front end $711 (glad I have the $100 deductible). Thinking it might be time to trade the wife in for a new model. LOL

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Tom,

The OP's post #1 quotes $711 repair cost for his Prius; and $280 for the truck.

16. AltonGrey

AltonGrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess my problem is nowhere as severe. My wife just kills my mileage. She's all accelerator and brake.

We took a 250 mile trip last weekend. I drove first, after filling up, and was averaging 52 mpg on the interstate. She takes over after 120 miles, and promptly brings it down to 44 mpg by the time we get there.

Naturally, I look for excuses to not let her drive it, but it drives me crazy to sit beside her when she does. And yes, I've tried educating her to the proper ways to get better mileage. Her response is I drive like a grandpa.

17. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be careful, trading in a wife is even more expensive than trading in an SUV! :eek:

Rob

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This means that your wife was achieving ~38 mpg for her leg of the trip. If this bugs you, I guess you'll have to step up to driving the entire distance.

19. hackIT

hackIT Oceanic Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There's something about my Prius that just brings out the 'particular' side of me. I wash & care for it like it was my first-born. My kids know better than to eat or drink in it. And, I'm sorry, but if my wife brought my Prius home with that kind of damage going on... I'm afraid we'd have to visit ye ole chopping block. :rip:

20. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    here's the pictures
    Again like I said its barely noticeable unfortunately the teeth behind the upper grill snapped. As for the scratch on the front bumper I could buff it out but there is one paint chip with it.

Attached Files: