1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius supply finally caught up to demand?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by cooljw, Dec 20, 2005.

1. cooljw

cooljw Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Based on my observations in SoCal, I feel like supply of the popular Prius is finally catching up to demand, which will soon mean no more MSRP pricing, and that you'll actually be able to negotiate a deal on a new Prius!

This is what I've observed:
    - I see lots of relatively new Prius everywhere I go.
    - A month ago dealers had unsold 2005s on the lot, some were discounting them.
    - Now dealers have unsold 2006s on the lot.
    - Many dealers don't have a waiting list for the Prius anymore, it's simply first come, first serve.
    - Gas prices are low, around $2.30, which doesn't help demand.
    - I know Toyota has increased Prius production, anyone have the specific numbers?

Another explanation is that this could all be just a lull caused by the usually slow December new car sales month, and people waiting to take advantage of the 2006 hybrid tax credit.

What do people think? Personally I'm waiting until 2006 to buy a Prius. And at this rate I might wait until the Spring or later.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Supply will only be adequate until Jan 1.

There is no planned increase in the number of Priii coming to the US in 06. It will be about the same as 05.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

:lol: I was just about to post a copy of the article you posted last week.

I think people a lot of people are waiting for that tax credit since it appears to have been widely publicized.

4. Tideland Prius1

Tideland Prius1 New Member

Buy now while selection is at it's best - at least that is what I did. I got a $700 discount on an '05 with a #6 package and I won't take delivery until 1/2/06 to ensure the tax credit. Dealers will hold them AND disccount them in December - good luck in January!

5. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Boooy have times changed.

6. FrankBrock

FrankBrock New Member

Surprisingly, that's not how it's turn out -- at least not in the DC area.

I had a similar offer from a dealer in late December for a '06 (#2, #6 or #8) for $1000 under MSRP, plus they'd hold delivery until Jan 2nd. I was tempted, but opted to wait as I hadn't yet desided if I really wanted a Prius. I expected Prius sales to be really hot in January & maybe February, then cool off a bit.

To my surprise, when I started car shopping again after the holidays, I found that dealers were being fairly flexible on prices. CarMax (a national used car chain that also has a Toyota franchise in suburban Maryland) is now offering $1000 off MSRP on any unallocated Prius they get. It wasn't hard to get my local dealer to match their price. I wouldn't say Prius sales are slow (if you look at the "fewest days on the lot" figures, I'll be the Pruis is still in the top 5), but it's no where near as hot at the peak period last year.