1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Survey

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by 12prius34, Nov 6, 2007.

1. 12prius34

12prius34 New Member

Hi guys, I'm new (but not at all new to Hybrid motors) and I'd like to first apologize for any inconvenience I may or may not cause by starting this thread. I am conducting a survey for my school project regarding the average Toyota Prius MPG in any kinds of driving behaviors, conditions, etc. This in no hell way is affiliated with Toyota if you're worried about that...Again, this is for my Statistics class (school paper therefore), so no data collected here is to be published and made available to other people besides my Statistics class (only my professor gives a damn, anyway).

Before I even go on to start, I'd like to introduce myself. (Mod, please inform me if something's wrong here.)

I do not own a Toyota Prius, and I support making Earth a better place to live by conserving energy and recreating what is lost to the rapid industrialized nations. I believe in conserving and recreating Earth, and restoring it back to when you can walk around for miles and not worry about air pollution or water pollution. I'm not an environmentalist, but I support the cause. I wanted to purchase a Toyota Prius, but, as you probably can tell already, I'm in college and nothing is cheap.

Onto my survey:

I need to only collect 30 samples, so I won't end up having a thread that's 30+ pages long. As soon as I've got my last sample, a moderator can close this (please, don't move it. Closing it will eventually flood this thread down so it won't be on the front page) if he/she ever sees fit. I only need 30 samples, and this survey is based on simple random sampling, so I can't go to a specific thread like "50 MPG club members chime in"...

Please, just help a poor college student!

Simple format for your entry:

1. MPG
    2. [optional]Do you think Toyota Prius delivers what it promises?

2. darlenegalik

darlenegalik New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusSurvey @ Nov 6 2007, 03:26 AM) [snapback]535355[/snapback]</div>
    Ok - I get 55+ MPG in the summer months in New Jersey, this time of year I get about 52 MPG -
    (My commute is over 50 miles, so I do a lot of driving on a warm engine, probably accounts for part of the MPG)

And yes I think the Prius delivers what it promises - this car can even be better than it's publicity.

Good luck in school (Rutgers grad here)

3. prius2go

prius2go Member

ok I didnt buy it for any of the green promises, whether by Toyota, or claimed by the motoring press.
    I've felt for a while that car mpg should be better now than it was 15 years ago.

I decided to ignore economy driving , and just drive the same way as I used to, to get a feel of any real improvements.
    I was also told that the claimed mpg figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt ( i.e. ignored)
    I also realised that any improvement in mpg would probably save minimum cost over a year
    Really I wanted to see how it worked and what happened.

So I'm very happy, that driving about as before, that although the mpg screen sometimes says 16mpg :blink: and other times 99mpg :eek: , I average around 55mpg
    This compares with 29mpg with my previous car , in the same conditions

It really is a worthwhile improvement B)

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    4.3L/100km = 54.70mpg around town. 34km (21 miles) each way commute. I accelerate hard normally but look ahead so I avoid the brake pedal when I can. Mostly flat ground with a pretty good hill, down in the morning then up in the afternoon.

Prius delivers all it promises and some.

5. prius2go

prius2go Member

Are Australian gallons the same size as UK gallons or US gallons ?

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    47 mpg (short trips)
    Yes, it delivers what it promises, and I'd say even more than I expected.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius2go @ Nov 6 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]535377[/snapback]</div>
    Australia uses litres and metres not gallons and feet.
    The figures I quoted are US gallons, the tiny little ones I think snake oil vendors invented. Australia used UK gallons back before we worked out metric is a way better system. UK is funny as a f**t, they sell petrol in litres but the speed limits and distances are in miles. :blink: :huh:
    65.70mpgUK
    54.7mpgUS

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. hwalker911

hwalker911 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1- 54.8
    2- Yes

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel economy is complicated enough that it can't really be broken down into a single number. 15,000mi and almost a year my average is 54.2mpg. My winter average (sub-freezing New England crappy weather) was in the mid 40s, my summer average just driving back and forth to work has been over 60. If I can keep this up for another year I'll have an average in the high 50s.

So yes, I do think the Prius delivers the goods. My mileage is roughly 60% better than my previous car which was about the same size and weight and only a bit more powerful. Based on the new EPA figures, it delivers **more** than it promises.

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusSurvey @ Nov 6 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]535355[/snapback]</div>
    Let me suggest you look at the Comparison tab under GreenHybrid.com. It has over a million miles of hybrid data and I've often done a cut-and-paste from the Web pages into an excel spreadsheet:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/

You can get a table of all hybrids; table by model; and all mileage entries for a single vehicle:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1506.html

Good luck!
    Bob Wilson

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusSurvey @ Nov 6 2007, 03:26 AM) [snapback]535355[/snapback]</div>
    1. 56.4 MPG (US gallons)
    2. yes in spades :)

Good luck,
    Gabe

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) 55.0 lifetime 72.3 best

2) For the most part, but they're not perfect.

14. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. 48.3 Lifetime average
    2. Car delivers much more than promised. Changed my attitude toward pollution and the only car I'll purchase is a hybrid

15. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. MPG: 45+ in Summer (w/AC)
    50+ in Spring/Fall
    2. Yes. But they can do more (and probably will)

16. elcorazon

elcorazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. about 42 mpg
    2. for the most part

17. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    56+ in the summer, 49 winter

Yes, the Prius delivers on its promise.

Tom

18. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusSurvey @ Nov 6 2007, 02:26 AM) [snapback]535355[/snapback]</div>
    1. MPG = YTD average 39.5 MPG, Highest tank 67 MPG
    2. Yes Toyota Delivers, and Yes I have the Yes sticker prominantly displayed that we'd buy again!
    3. bought to replace a V6 buick regal and a V8 Jeep GCL
    4. see signature for typical driving conditions ...

19. 12prius34

12prius34 New Member

Thank you guys. Your swift responses are greatly appreciated.

I can post a PowerPoint file of everything if you guys also want to take a look at my project later on.

About 15 or so more, and I can finish my paper =)

20. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) At the moment my lifetime MPG over 17,900 miles is 56.0 MPG, but it will be dropping a bit now that cooler weather is setting in.

2) This is my first Toyota, and while I'm not sure that Toyota actually "promised" me anything, I'd have to say that the car, the dealership, and the manufacturer have all exceeded my expectations. So if you take my expectations as an implied promise from Toyota, then yes Toyota delivered more than they promised.

Now, as for your statistics class, please be aware that you are NOT getting a "random" sample from this request. You might as well have just scanned through a few of the "50 MPG club members chime in" type of posts. You have come to a discussion forum of people who are actively involved with teaching about, learning about, and promoting the Toyota Prius and Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive system. There is the occasional person with a bad experience who drops by to complain , and then quickly disappears. For the most part people here are all very happy with their cars and with Toyota. A significant percentage of people who post here are actively attempting to maximize their fuel economy, so the average of the MPG numbers you see here will likely be significantly higher than you would see in a true "random sample" of Prius owners.