1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius system goes dead when pressing stop/start butto

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blacks1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Blacks1

Blacks1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a gen2 2007 prius (right hand drive here in New Zealand). Problem I am having is [INTERMITTENT]when pressing the ignition button to turn off the car. When I press the button the system completely shuts down instantly and rather roughly and nothing is active (the Key is still in). I then remove the key and the system starts up! I then press the button to stop the system, put the key back in and restart it. It then works fine - until the next time. Clock resets itself as does the climate controls. Not sure what to make of this. I have just recently replaced the 12v battery in the boot.

PS. Forgot to mention that when the system goes dead, if I fold down back seat and thump the floor panel above the battery under the seat the system goes on?? Any clues. Will take it to mechanic as soon as he gets back from holiday!@##

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, good luck with that!

Sorry, but I definitely have not seen that behavior, sounds like a loose wire or intermittent short somewhere, could be tough to find that one, without going thru the connectors one by one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the clock resets, that is a clue that the system lost 12V power. You might start by verifying that the connections to the 12V battery are clean and tight, and that the 12V battery (although new) is in good condition. If the battery and cabling are good, then it is likely that you have a wiring harness problem in the dashboard.

4. Blacks1

Blacks1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks This has been most helpful. I will check it out as you suggest:)