1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Taxi in Jersey

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Oxo, May 22, 2006.

1. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I spent a few days in Jersey recently and noticed a Prius taxi, (see photo) but it was in a line waiting for customers and I couldn't find the driver to ask for his opinion.

I had my own Prius there and got an unusually (for me) high MPG. This was probably because there are such narrow roads and so much traffic in Jersey that it moves slowly. For most journeys you hardly go above 25MPH and there are only three or four miles of roads on which you can reach 40MPH.

My MPG was at least 72 for about 100 miles of the very short journeys I did in the few days. (This translates to about 60 MPG in US gallons). Petrol (gasoline) in Jersey is about 90p per litre, which is equivalent to about $6.43 for a US gallon.

The UK price per litre is now about 97p per litre (just over $7 US).

So if you're going to Jersey for your summer vacation look out for the Prius cab.

2. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't you mean Old Jersey?

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's at least one white and red Prius taxi roaming around the Las Vegas, NV area. I saw it while waiting in the taxi line at the Stardust. The couple standing in front of me got in and it stealthed away... darn, I was so close!

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen two in the LA area on the freeways, also a driver's ed. car.

5. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ May 22 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]259311[/snapback]</div>
    I mean Jersey, which is quite old but never called "Old Jersey" to my knowledge. In the 17th century an English duke gave one of the Jersey residents (I think his name was George Carteret) some land in north America and after a lot of trouble this became New Jersey, one of the original 13 States.

As Mark Twain might have said, there are things that I stretch, but mainly I tells the truth.

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is hard for some to think outside of the box that is America.

I will be staying in London for a couple of days in October and probably will be using the bus and tube but would probably take a ride in a European Prius just to see what is inside....curiousity!

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's an article in today's NY Times about hybrid cabs in the city:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/21/automobi...r=1&oref=slogin

You have to 'join' the website to read the article, then it gets archived after 7 days. I've been a member for years, and you don't get junkmail from them unless you sign up for mailings on particular topics (like I get their discounted theater ticket notices).

Most of the NYC hybrid cabs are the Escape - 1 Prius and (1 think) I Lexus.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Yellow Cab in Vancouver B.C. Canada has 42 Prius in their fleet and almost all the other cab companies have them as well. In fact on a short drive today I saw 2 Prius cabs, Yellow 12 and a Bonny's but didn't get the number.

9. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ May 22 2006, 03:58 PM) [snapback]259378[/snapback]</div>
    Except for the fact that a UK Prius will have a right-hand drive I doubt if you'll notice much difference but I'll be interested if you do. It will also be interesting to know if any are available for hire in London. I rarely see another Prius on the roads here.