1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Tech in SLC?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JJJ, Jun 27, 2011.

1. JJJ

JJJ New Member

Hi all:

My 05 has had a bad traction battery cell or two for the last month. My local dealer is still quoting end of July for delivery of a new complete one. Unfortunately I have a family vacation/business trip out to Boston in mid-July. I'm looking at a junker battery locally but need a certified tech to do the cell/module replacement. I am, of course, concerned that other cells might get the corrosion problem or more cells that just may die on the trip. Of course the dealer is not interested in doing cell replacement, but with the parts shortage out of Japan really can't/won't help. I did get a case number from Toy, but have not heard from anyone at Toy.

So does anyone know of a reputable tech in or around Salt Lake City?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    curious, how many miles?

3. hunterxaz

hunterxaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did you tell that your traction battery was going bad?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will the dealer pay for a rental in the mean time?

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the junkyard battery is fresh, less than 6 months from the time of the accident, just have someone put it in, the entire assembly. Ask around to independents that claim to work on Toyota. Basically, you just need to find a shop that can access Techstream for the instructions, as a battery swap is pretty easy. Then take your trip. You'll probably make it fine, and then you can call the dealer when you get back, cancel your appointment, and save a few thousand $$$.

Module replacement is generally done only when are buying a couple of them on Ebay. Contact jdenenberg, PriusChat Forums - View Profile: jdenenberg, if you would like to buy modules that are Plug n Play.

Unfortunately, no one was able to answer your question, i.e. recommending a specific person to do the job. But I would encourage you to call independent Toyota shops in town to see if they would install a salvage battery for you.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are independent Hybrid repair stations in MA. This is a list from an organization that trains hybrid techs: http://www.hybridcars.com/service/preferred-hybrid-shops.html

MASSACHUSETTS

Bob's Motor Workshop
    49 East Main Street
    Millford, MA
    (508) 473-8383
    [email protected]

Bravo Motor
    32 Cambridge Street
    Worcester, MA 01603
    (508) 363-2500
    [email protected]

Crystal Car Care
    4 Stadler St.
    Belchertown, MA 01007
    (413) 323-8789
    [email protected]

DJ‘s Automotive Service
    1150 Central Street
    Leominster, MA 01453
    (978)534 3380
    [email protected]

Hilltown Hybrids
    73 S. Central St.
    Plainfield, MA 01070
    (413) 634-8808
    [email protected]

Ranstroms Automotive
    133 West Boylston Street
    Worcester, MA 01606
    (508) 853-6606
    [email protected]

Wayside Auto Sales & Service
    1651 Fall River Avenue
    Seekonk, MA 02771
    (508)336-7143
    [email protected]

As Selierts said, I am re-balancing and charging the 27 good modules that came out of my 2004 Prius. All of them (18 so far, it takes 32 hours to do each one) measure better than 6.5 amp-hours capacity after the reconditioning.

I will start selling them on eBay soon for $30 each plus shipping, but they are available now if your tech can deal with a module replacement. I am about 2.5 hours down the coast from Boston in CT.

If you want to stop in southern Indiana for a couple of hours Steve at http://www.autobeyours.com will fix you up at a reasonable price.

JeffD