1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, the most sophisticated car on the road?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ctbering, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When is a hybrid really a hybrid? Is it the electric motor coupled by the gas engine or is it the whole package, a car designed to be a hybrid? I drove a Camry hybrid last October on a business trip. It seemed ok except I had to put my luggage in the back seat because the trunk was so small. The Civic hybrid looks nice..but is it designed aerodynamically like the Prius...and does it sacrifice space like the Camry to accommodate the hybrid technology? I see the brain trust at GM are putting the first generation hybrid technology on gas guzzling trucks so they get 17 mpg instead of 14 mpg. I see $100K german vehicles that are beautiful but still saddled with fossil fuel technology only...really smart money says the 22-30k Prius is really the most expensive car on the road...a car built as a hybrid with the millions of dollars of technology and experience and support built into it....and from these postings, the future looks brighter and brighter for this car in wake of a major oil crisis looming in the future.
    Oh, is there any tangible differences between the Prius touring model and the base model...beside the $1000.00 increase?

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, but the fact that it's a hybrid doesn't necessarily mean that it is well designed, highly efficient, or otherwise a great car. Only a few hybrids are truly great hybrids.

Yep, bigger wheels, a slightly larger spoiler on the hatch, and a stiffer suspension. I think that's all, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I've missed anything.

3. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    you could not fit all your luggage in a camry? lol. you must have a lot of suits
    and shoes!

the difference of the touring compared to the base model is:
    different rims and slightly wider tires.
    the spoiler thingy in the back is slightly longer.
    better suspension, better handling, better stopping, etc..
    the packages vary a bit with the touring compared to the base
    but the end result package wise can be the same if you keep stepping
    up in the base package format.
    i wonder what i forgot?

i agree the car is pretty darn fancy for your money tech wise. i enjoy
    owning one and i have had the opportunity to drive mercedes and the like
    due to my parents owning them over the years. i feel happy with it.

4. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I meant tangible differences between the Touring and base Prius model? I drove both but now I wish I would have put them both through an obstacle course.....I guess I meant they feel the same driving ....oh , it only takes a large suitcase and some fairly big presents for family members to shrink the Camry hybrid trunk:D

5. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    According to a "leading consumer magazine" the Touring handles better and has significantly better braking. Without reservation they ecommended springing for the upgraded package.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius, the most sophisticated car on the road?
    Ferarri is a billy cart compared to a Prius.