1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Three in the snow/ice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Arnold23, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Arnold23

Arnold23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

First post! Currently running a FWD diesel car here in the England, and looking to move to a Prius Three. Although here we don't get the sort of snow conditions many of you guys get Stateside & Canada, I live in a pretty rural area, where morning temps are around freezing, and we tend to get at least a couple of weeks of snow per year. As I drive some distance to work, my car has to get me there!

What's a Prius Three like in the snow/ice? I already run my car on good snow-rated all-weather tyres, but wondering if I'll have to pony up for proper winter jobs - the main drawback I can see about the Prius is not just the autobox, but the fact there's no 'gears' (so no holding in second/third etc.), and the traction control, which in the earlier Prius was well known as kicking in too early....

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We have found that our Prius does very well on ice and snow.

In our town, we do not use salt on the pavement. Instead we pack the snow down and drive on it, plowing the extra into the surrounding forest. Also many people here enjoy ice-fishing, so we drive on the frozen lakes and rivers to park and fish. We commonly cross the frozen rivers as short-cuts to seeking bridges.

Our experience has been that our Prius handles far better on ice/snow than any car we have owned previously.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Lots of snow and ice here in Alaska. Have had no major peoblems but I also run the studded snow jobs. Wouldn't leave home without em. But the prius does as well as any of the other fwds I have owned.

ForestBeekeeper likes this.
  4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We live in the Rochester, NY area - which is rated as the 2nd snowiest city in the US (Syracuse, NY, 90 miles to the East is #1) and manage just fine with regular LRR "All Season" tires. But, I will admit that they use a lot of salt here. On the other hand, we have been in some pretty heavy snow storms in Maryland, (no salt - only a couple of feet of snow) and did just fine. The key is prudent driving!!

ForestBeekeeper likes this.