1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Three or Prius v five

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mad1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Mad1

Mad1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just drove a 2012 Three and a v five, like the upgrades on the v but the mpg on the Three could be the deciding factor.
    I have also looked at the ct200h and the jetta sport wagon tdi.
    The v appears to provide greater ingress and egress for both driver and passenger.
    This site has been a wealth of knowledge and has been helpful in determining the pluses and minuses of each. Any feedback or opinions on either model would be appreciated as i believe i will make the decision in the next two weeks as to which one i will purchase.

Thank you

2. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends on what you feel comfortable with. I might suggest doing as my co-worker is doing right now. He's renting the various vehicles he's looking at to get a feel for them. I have a Prius THree. I have plenty of room to lug things around. I put a 4.5CubicFt refrigerator in the back of mine and still had plenty of room for other things. I was looked at the v when I was looking at the Three and decided against it as I didn't need all that room. So I got a less expensive car with better mileage and when I need it I have room to haul many things. If I need to haul something much larger I'll rent a U-Haul truck or rent one from the place I'm purchasing from, or have it delivered.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've gotten used to the space a SUV with the seats down provided and probably for that reason wouldn't have considered the Prius except that it finally came with a wagon like form factor. In terms of MPG, the % gain from my CRV to the v is much larger than going to a Three would be over the v. My son loves his Three for his 50 mile commute but his 6 person family also has a 8 person mini-van.

I use the extra space for taking the Christmas tree to the recycle, taking 5 freezer storage boxes to Costco and the like. I'm willing to give up the cost savings of the higher MPG for the convenience of always having that extra space available. I'd say I've used the extra space or larger opening twice a month since I got the car.

I ran the spreadsheet of cost savings over my old car, this car and alternatives. I found it illuminating.

But every person's needs are different and their priorities are their own.

4. Mad1

Mad1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

This would replace a volvo xc 90 so the useful space is a factor and the fuel savings will be dramatic as i currently average 18 mpg w/ the 2.5 turbo. We also have the mini van for carrying the family.
    I have a coworker with a gen III and it appears to suit his needs, i don't want to compromise on the ability to fit items in the back.
    From some post the fuel consumption is not that far off from a gen III to a v. After driving both there is not much to differentiate from in ride quality or handling the v did have the 17" wheels which i would add to the gen III as i think it adds to the over all look.
    Leaning toward the v but will keep reading on this board before i make an offer.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you need the extra cargo space a lot, that should tip in favor of the v, but pay attention to the cargo floor differences ...
    In Prius v, notice when folding back seats down, there is seat fabric on rear seatbacks. Will your stuff damage that fabric?
    In liftback Prius, fold rear seats down to find a smooth completely carpeted load floor. It is smaller than v though.
    Also, the liftback rear seat headrests fold forward; lift them all way up, fold forward.

In considering the liftback, check out the new Persona series Prius. It's optioned out a lot like the Prius Three* inside except it has Softex seats (mechanical adjust, not power like Four/Five) and wrapped steering wheel, plus the 17" wheels good to go, no hassle changing wheels. Stickers a little north of $28k. Have no idea if there is discount incentive on those.

* At moment, not sure Persona has navigation, but would be a little nuts if it didn't.

Prius Persona Series

Leather wrapped steering wheel is pretty nice to have in Prius as the texture of non-wrapped is rough and a little plain. 2012/13 Three doesn't have wrapped steering wheel.

6. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Might want to rethink the Jetta Wagon TDI. My wife and I have had two NewBeetle TDIs since 1999. First one (1999) very economical with lower diesel prices and 600 miles to a tank. The second (2006) much less fuel mileage, happy to get 400 per tank. Diesel prices have been high for the last three to four years. I have a 2011 Lexus IS 350 that requires premium fuel. That pi$$es me off, diesel around $3.78 is worse. I got the Prius Plug to replace the Beetle. Too many cars today require premium fuel. My new Virginia personalized plate for the Prius is "R3VOLTN". A play on my feelings about high gas prices and the ability to recharge the Prius Plug.

7. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mad 1,

I bought a V-2 and had aftermarket real leather and heated front seats added by the dealer for much less than the price of the V-3. I then bought a Garmin Nuvi GPS with voice commands.

The backs of the rear seats actually have hard plastic to protect them when you fold them down. The V has incredible amount of room inside. And, if you drive it sensibly, you can get 45-50 mpg avg per tank (~480 miles per tank). As usual, the disclaimer applies... your mileage will vary.

I'm kind biased but I think that the V is a better looking shape than the liftback.

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And if you are worried about the look of the wheels, buy one of the lower models of the v and just pull the hubcaps off and you have some nicer 16"wheels and don't have to give up turning radius as you do with the 17" wheels. Center caps that look stock are $29.99 on ebay.

9. Jack Cannon

Jack Cannon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I first test-drove the Prius v-THREE and it was a very comfortable ride. I wanted a v-FIVE, but there weren't any in stock on that day, so I returned a week later. Looked at the v-FIVE (Pearl White paint) and liked it, then bought it WITHOUT test-driving it. Lovely vehicle in ALL respects except for two things: The ride on the 17" wheels is rough and bumpy compared to the ride I experienced in the THREE (may be the Toyo tires). Also, checked my gas mileage after my first full tank and it was 32.6 mpg. My vehicle is rated at 42/40 city, highway respectively. Will attribute the lower first tank disappointment to winter weather here in Sacramento, CA. as the mornings have been 25-29 degrees until 8 A.M. Idling while defrosting for safety is the culprit I believe, but we'll see as Spring approaches. I love everything else on the v-FIVE. The seats (Soft-Tex) are marvelous and feel very comfortable. All the other toys are great too. When folks say there is a lot of room in the v-FIVE, they are entirely correct. Headroom too.

Jack

10. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a v 5 and love it as well,though I don't find the ride at all harsh. In fact, I find it quite smooth and very quiet. Check your tire pressure. I keep mine about 2-3 pounds above the suggested amount on the door jam. When we picked it up, the dealer had it about 10 pounds over and it was riding a bit stiff until I checked it myself.

11. Mad1

Mad1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Still reviewing my options but getting closer. Have ruled out the ct based on utility and price. Keep reading up on the TDI and what owners are experiencing with maintenance and cost of diesel over regular fuel along with additives to the fuel. I think the TDI is a better driving car than the Prius (drove both) but the economy of the Prius has me leaning to it.
    Not in a rush so I will continue to weigh my options and then make the decision.
    Thanks for all of the feedback as both this board and Freds tdi site appear to give honest yet respectful insight into to both cars.

12. jdurston

jdurston Junior Member

I'm a former Jetta tdi owner and a current hybrid driver (HCH 3rd battery @110,000km) but wouldn't touch a current tdi Jetta due to high pressure fuel pump failures. (mostly caused by lack of fuel quality standards in North America.) I loved my Jetta (sold it to my Parents and still going strong @ 240,000km) and easily surprised coworker's gen2 Prius milage on the highway, but the Prius is less likely to suffer a unexpected large repair bill (VW hasn't taken ownership of the fuel pump failure problem and it is thousand$ to repair).

There are couple of hybrids out there that offer a more Jetta like driving experiences (Ford Fusion and CMax are more driver oriented than Prius at the expense of some fuel economy).

Nexus 7 ? HD

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One thing the v offers over the hatchback is rear seat headroom. If that's a concern, be sure to check it out.
    We opted for the hatch, in part because we could get the solar sunroof package.