1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Three Windshield Visibility Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Anesthesiologist, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Anesthesiologist

Anesthesiologist New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello fellow Prius owners!

Unfortunately, I have an issue with my windshield. I'll attempt to be as thorough as possible. There are two issues. One issue pertains to some sort of large circle on the driver's side. The dealer couldn't confirm if it was rain x in previous applications that wouldn't come off (despite my numerous attempt to get rid of the spot using several research methods). So, he said he would apply rain x to the entire windshield. (Why would they offer to complete a temporary fix like that?)

He indicated that if this didn't work, the windshield would most likely meed to be replaced.

In addition to that, even before I noticed the driver's side spot that only seemed to appear during wet/extremely cold/humid conditions, when making left and right turns, the passenger's side window (a small section on the bottom right hand corner) has a slight glaze/blur.

I don't notice this in my neighbor's Prius, nor did I experience such a thing in my previous Prius C. I have had nothing but problems with this windshield and I think I might have to take them up on that offer of a new windshield. This is ridiculous! It's not extremely blurry, but it's distracting enough for me to lose attention when driving and the slightest bit is dangerous enough.

What are my options, what should I do, and do any of you notice this "blurry" section on the passenger's side?

Regards,

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not just take their offer and get a new OEM (make sure it's original Toyota) windshield? It would be a warranty item now vs later if you think too long about it.

3. Anesthesiologist

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want to say that the Service manager said it in a way to discourage me, given the silly fix. But I do give him credit for mentioning to let them know if the issue persists. I made an appointment this Saturday, wish me luck.

I was also worried about whether or not it was a warranty item. And I presume that Toyota usually provides free rental car service on issues like these if they're going to work on your car for a while? I know the last dealership kept my card for a week when I told them it looked like my steering wheel cover was a little off (turned out all Prius steering wheels have this defect). lol

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This service takes only a couple hours. They will first have to order the windshield from Toyota, I doubt they'll stock it. Make very certain it's an original Toyota windshield and not an aftermarket one. It should be stamped "Toyota" on the bottom driver's side corner.

It would be in your best interest to get this resolved before your warranty ends.

5. Anesthesiologist

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! You're awesome. What if they give me a hard time regarding third party/OEM windshield? Also, would an extended warranty be an option in regards to this (so I wouldn't have to worry about a deadline for further issues...? I'm not sure if you bought an EW) I didn't buy one, yet; I've been kind of skeptical about it.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just tell them you want an OEM windshield and not aftermarket. They won't give you are hard time since they can get both. You should replace with OEM whenever possible (cost being a non factor)

The reliability on the Prius is quite good, most don't benefit from an extended warranty as most problems that can occur would happen after the warranty expires (over 100k miles)