1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius throttle body

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FD1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. FD1

FD1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went in 2 weeks ago because a check engine light came on. Turns out a sensor said I was out of gas( for no reason) so it was dismissed. While there they wanted to catchup on all the recalls over the years, no cost to me, so I agreed. I noticed the day after repairs that my motor was reving higher than usual. I thought it was just my imagination until the check engine light came on. I took it in today and was told the throttle body needs replacing at a cost of $1200. I have owned the car six years never needed anything until they touched it. Seems like I am being ripped off since I have scoured the internet and throttle body cleaning is an option. Any ideas?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't pay that much for a replacement. I've modified a lot of TBs over the years and they are not that complicated. I would try cleaning yours and if all else fails go look for one at a salvage yard. Even at $725.50 (https://www.toyotapartscenter.net/2005toyotaPriusparts.html) the labor charge is way out of line.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FYI, MSRP on the throttle is $900+/-. That's what you would pay for the part at a dealer. $1200 does not seem wholly unreasonable for a dealer to install this new part.

I very, very strongly encourage you to contact Eric at Adopt-A-Part. He has several salvage ones lying around for $155+shipping.

Welcome to Adopt A Part