1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius tire chains for snow any updates?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by problemchild, Nov 6, 2008.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I looking through the old thread (2005) and there does not seem to be any conclusion. I was wondering what everyone is using for the snow. I see that any gap in the tire traction device could cause the tire to slip and shut off the engine. I don't want to be on an .00000001 uphill climb and have my car turn off. Toyota really blew it with the engine shut off design. Last thing you want to have on ice is the engine lurching on and off.

So...........

Are there any reasonably priced easy on/off designed tire traction devices (snows chains etc) out that everyone is happy with?

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    problemchild,

The "tire traction device" you refer to isn't a stand-alone, add-on option that you can take away or add on or turn off or on. It is simply Toyota's version of traction control that's built into the PSD (transmission) to protect the internal parts from over-spinning & ruining your $9,000 transmission. The traction control does NOT turn off your engine, but instead cuts power (through the transmission) to the wheels so that they don't spin again making you lose traction worse (which could cause some serious results). It makes the wheels turn unbearably slowly which should allow you to regain the traction you originally lost.

There were more problems with the '04's & '05's since the traction control was apparently programmed to be very aggressive in stopping the wheel spin. Toyota is supposed to have re-programmed the traction control to be less aggressive since the 2006 model, so with your 2008 Prius you shouldn't have as much of a problem as those early posters in that 2005 thread. If you're still afraid or you do have problems of your own in this regard, then I suggest you change to a better all-season tire (or snows or studded, if you must), but you will lose some MPG by doing this.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. atroader

atroader Engineer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you're able to get a little traction with your tires, carefully two-footing with slight brake pressure will keep the tires from breaking traction too quickly to kill the engine (engine will be used for torque to overcome the brakes).
    This worked for me on some steep gravel hills in the mountains last spring.

Of course, dont do this for too long or you'll heat the main mg significantly. (ok for a min or so)

4. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Im asking about snow chains or any other TIRE traction device. I understand how the engine kill thing works and I understand why.

5. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Snow chains........

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody tried out the AutoSock? It looks sort of promising.

-Chap

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've gone the regular tire chains route and had good success with them, other than the pain of installing them. Back in that day, I was also looking at Go-Claws, but then the snow melted. They tout quick installation and removal.
    This year, I'm going the winter tire route with X-Ice2, which will be my first ever set of winter tires. They should rock.

EDIT: I also considered the Autosock, but I decided I didn't want something that looked like packing material for shipping.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :) But maybe you could use them as packing material while carrying them around in the back when not in use. Try that with a set of chains....

-Chap

9. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well I bought the tire cable chains from vulcan tire for 69.00.

10. bnettles

bnettles New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What does the owners manual say about chains? I got the Compact Grip by RUD. There is a movie on installing them at tirechaindealer.com. I have to say, they are very easy to put on.

11. infogeek

infogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  12. infogeek

infogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius