1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Tires for Utah -> Vegas Commute

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by HiHoStevo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Airport Bum

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this will the first winter I will need to drive the Prius in Northern Utah. Last winter I just drove my Honda Element (AWD) when the snow was around... however, my oldest daughter has "borrowed" the Element, so I will need to drive the Prius full time this winter.

The car ('05 Prius) currently wears a set of Big O Euro-Tour tires (these tires are still in excellent shape, but I am unsure of their winter capabilities)... they were on the car when I purchased it at 22,000 miles... so the previous owner must have been dissatisfied with the OEM tires on the car.

I was considering buying a set of winter wheels and mounting something like the Michelin X-Ice2 on them... until I remembered I will need to be driving this car back and forth to Las Vegas during the winter... and I fear the dry highway driving would tear up the winter tires.

So.... what to do... I have had the Michelin Hydro-Edge tires recommended to me... but when I read the reviews... people do not seem very happy with their performance on snow... and I have seen posts from Prius owners that complain about lost fuel mileage... which will be significant on longer trips.

I was hoping the folks in this thread would have more experience and suggestions with my situation.

Thanks for your help,

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I used to live in Park City, Murray, near U of U, St George, and Mesquite NV. You have an impressive commute!

I-15 by Point of the Mountain can be treacherous in winter, due to the sudden change in elevation. So can I-15 by Nephi, Cedar City, Filmore, etc.

I always ran studded snow tires when I lived in Salt Lake County and Summit County. FYI studded tires ARE allowed in NV, just not sure how long they will last if you go from true blizzard conditions in Utah County, down to Vegas at +50 F

The same applies to a studless snow tire. They will rapidly wear down in warm driving, especially at I-15 speeds of 75-85 MPH

I had great results with this studded tire on my Prius. In Scandinavian countries it was called the Goodyear Ultra Grip 500, here in Canada at Canadian Tire it was called the Goodyear Nordic. Noisy on dry pavement, exceptional on snow and especially glare ice

[​IMG]

Yes, I also run studded snow tires on my FJ Cruiser. In my case, factory studded Nokian's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't take chances with winter conditions.

Best of luck with a tire choice