1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius, Tivo, Roomba: Technology Triple Crown?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigdaddy, Jun 19, 2005.

?
  1. All 3, a Triple Crown!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 0, but hopeful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I am cleaning the garage (actually Roomba is sweeping now) anticipating the soon-to-be arrival of the Prius. Just wondering how many folks actively use these handy little "robots", as well as a Tivo. I consider all 3 to pretty profound and successful (life-altering?) gadgets.

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Can't use a Tivo, but I use 2 LG tuners that record HDTV. And they can dump the stuff I want to save out fire wire ports.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No Tivo, or roomba here. The quantity of hair that the dogs shed this time of year will quickly kill a roomba, so I have a Dyson Animal vacuum. I also don't have much time for watching TV, so a Tivo is not justifiable for me. On the odd chance that I want to record something, I just let the DVDR copy the show.

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

I have a Roomba and a DVR with my cable company, so I guess that's somewhat close to TiVo.....I love 'em both, and will love my Prius even more when I pick her up this week.

Dave.

5. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

Yup, three Roombas, four Tivo's, but only one Prius.

But, everything has been modded! :)

If you really want to add another neat GeekToy, check out the SlingBox, it allows you to IP stream any video source and control source devices with a specialized remote-->IR client. Ergo, you can watch and control your Tivo from anywhere you can get online.

My "monitor" at work is a DLP projector on the wall for a 6 ft wide display, I regularly toss up external video from home in a window on the wall while I work, normally it's from Axis 2100 NetCam's I have around the house, but today it's the Tour de France from my Tivo. Not to shabby a toy.

Phil

6. sprett

sprett New Member

I have a Electrolux auto mower to keep my lawn in nice shape.....

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

Only one: Prius...

Don't watch TV

And vacuum? Wth is that? :ph34r:

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I only have one right now: my trusty Tivo.

I asked for a Roomba for Christmas.

I will have the Prius sometime in early 2006.

So I might very well have myself a Technology Triple Crown in the coming months...

9. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have the Prius and the Roomba. I also have the added benefit of having worked on the current line of roombas in the development stage. I was a testing intern at iRobot, and developed the first version of the software that they use to show coverage over time on the website. I also own a pre-production Roomba of the current rev. It still works just fine, and I can still disassemble it completely in about 30 minutes.

10. The Old Man

The Old Man New Member

Black Prius 05 - check
    2nd generation red Roomba - check
    Tivo - neg (I do record tv shows via my iMac and tv cable connection)

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Got Prius
    Just sold my Roomba 2 days ago
    Don't watch TV

12. lwillis

lwillis New Member

I only own a Prius...... but I also own two Segways. I think that may offest the Tivo and the Roomba.

13. rg3design.com

rg3design.com Junior Member

Only own the Prius on your list but also have a plasma TV, an iPod, and a Mac Book Pro on the way.

14. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

LOL, admitted technogeek here - I clip coupons, I scrimp pennies, I'm constantly trolling the deals boards for great deals on new goodies... We manage to put a good bit into savings, but the part that goes into our toys and vacation fund is well spent.

I have a Replay TV (like Tivo, but a different brand - I like it a lot - I didn't own a TV all through college, and the husband has the TV on all the time if he's home and awake - the Tivo means that if I'm in the room, theres always something I can put on that won't annoy me to pieces) as well as a roomba (we actually had the original roomba, but sold it to buy the new model) and I just bought the new Prius...

I also have a Dyson vacuum - my husband is allergic to cats, and we have four - the Dyson SAVED us when we had carpet. We both have IPod shuffles, laptops, and electric water fountains for the cats.

I see the 'techie, cheapie, or greenie' sig every once in a while... I certainly qualify all around. The Prius is the first big technological purchase I've bought for what was being asked - all the rest of our purchases could likely be found as big green deals on Fatwallet =)

15. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have BeyondTV in my PC with a 300 GB HD and a DVD burner...and a MediaMVP hooked to the tv in the other room so I can watch the shows in there. (Transfers it over the wireless network in my apt, pretty cool). No Roomba yet but only b/c I can't justify it for my 600 sq ft apt...the moment I have a house I'll get one. And my Prius countdown is at 3 months!

16. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, but how long does it take you to reassemble it? :)

Has anyone tried the Scooba? I'd really like something like that if it works and is easy to use.

As far as the poll is concerned, I'm now 2 for 3 -- I have my Prius and Roomba, but still no Tivo.

17. jeneric

jeneric New Member

You're too modest. ReplayTV gals and guys..Unite!! Got Poopli?

18. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

To be honest, I'm not the TV watcher in the house - I just bought it because it was a great deal a couple of Christmas's ago. I know my husband does something cool with it where we now have all the Star Treks commercial free on DVD =P

19. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Profound..life altering???????? I'll buy it on the Prius..but a vacumn and <gasp> the ability to watch MORE TV...OMG!!!!!!! :D

Oh...no roomba, no Tivo...I only have cable because it is dirt cheap for basic cable with high speed access. I am 46 and just got high speed last ear because DW is taking online college courses

20. sseres

sseres New Member

Roomba: love it because it's cool and works by itself in the dark, but am happy I got it cheaper than full price by getting it on ebay because it's a bit disppointing (loud, slow, not good with Keeshond hair) and I can't modify or upgrade it.

Tivo: Lives upstairs and keeps us happy but doesn't interface with HDTV. Already cracked the lid and added stuff.

Cable HDTV DVR: interfaces with the HDTV which is cool, but compared to Tivo, interface stinks (and I don't *own* it so I can't crack the lid and add stuff). (Unfortunately, CBS isn't available in HD on cable in Portland due to a urinating-distance contest between Comcast and Emmis Communications who owns the local CBS affiliate here, but you can read all the yelling we Portlanders have done about that at www.avsforum.com)

06 Prius: Except that I'm not as optimized of a driver that I think I will be, it's the coolest toy I've ever owned... and I *do* own it so as soon as my EV mod arrives, I'll be cracking the lid and putting that in!

My vote to add to the list of must-have toys that make life great: HDTV and voice-mail via email. B)

My 2 year old daughter is pretty cool, too, though... :wub: