1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius to Alaska on AlCan? Too Risky?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BrettDanKen, Mar 26, 2005.

1. BrettDanKen

BrettDanKen Junior Member

The better half and myself are driving the Alaskan Highway from Southern California this year. I'd love to take the Prius but am somewhat concerned about the long stretches without available services (we took a trailer to Dawson City and back in 1992). Also, I remember some pretty gnarly detours on the road (clearance issues?) and don't remember too many motels. What with gas prices up there and the convenience of dragging my housing with me I'm undecided at present. We have a Package 9 2004 with only 12,000 miles on it and it's been perfect so far. Haven't bought an extended warranty yet, but might. I'd appreciate members input...

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

one of our PC members took his brand new Prius to the Yukon for a month last year and his only complaint was the roof mounted carrier box pulled the milage down. Other than that he had no problems. From 1992 to date you will find the road is all paved now. There might be small sections they are upgrading but for the most part it's a normal drive now. Do a google on Alaska Hiway road conditions and they'll tell you what all to expect.

3. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am sure some of the pics you could take would make the 06 PC calender not to mention Toyota's admiration. How about driving to Seattle in the Prius and renting a SUV or Tundra 4 door? 4 wheel drive and high clearance on the AH sounds appropriate.
    Just an idea.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I have a little bit of a hard time with this one. I've driven the Alcan...but in an Expedition. You should not do the trip, in a Prius, in the mud seasons. Or the winter. But in the summer you should be OK.

I have the same concerns you do, however. It may be several hundreds of miles to the nearest Toyota dealer if you do have a problem...and if it has anything at all to do with the computers or hybrid system that's who would have to do the work. It's a very unlikely scenario, however. If your schedule is not critically tight and a few days being bogged down in a quaint little Yukon town...then I say go for it.

The 2nd concern is the roads...all construction goes on in the Summer and the detours are rough roads. I doubt there'll be anything impassable, but it could be rough. I'd consider taking along a full size spare tire instead of (or in addition to) the temp spare.

And, if you do take it...please get some great shots with Denali or a few Moose or something both to share and to submit for the '06 Calendar.

5. Frank Hudon

I think your under rating the Prius I know people who take Corvettes there.

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you will have enough room for everything that you will need, then the Prius will provide an excellent platform for your vacation. The 14 hour drives that I have done have left me feeling much better than the drives that I have made in large trucks and SUVs with those large cushy captains chairs.

The hatchback makes travelling very convenient. On our recent 1800 mile trip to the mountains we made a bed in the back so we could nap when not driving. This involves the risk of not using restraints so may not be acceptable to everyone, but in the wide open roads of north and west Texas, we accepted the risk. We would not try it in urban areas or other congested or sight limited areas. There were three of us on the trip with all our winter clothes for eight days and our snowboarding equipment. We were all comfortable and the fourteen hour drives passed quickly.

The Prius offers an excellent way to silently glide slowly down the road with the windows down. It is actually less intrusive to the experience than my motorcycles used to be.

On reliability, I would rather have the Prius than any other modern vehicle. Evan, if a computer module failed in your Expedition, your situation would have been no better than in the Prius. The fuel range is probably the best on the road or in the top three. The ability to have climate control without the engine running continuously makes it a great platform for watching wildlife out of the elements.

The list goes on. If clearance and road conditions don't preclude it's use, I'm sure that the Prius will provide many pleasant surprises on your trip.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How badly I want to take this trip. I will someday, but it will be by motorcycle. If I were you, I'd take the Prius. People do this drive in all manners of vehicles without issue. The only extra stuff I'd take would be a tire repair kit, and an air compressor, just in case you get a flat in the middle of BFE.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look, I'm as big a fan of the Prius as they come. I also think it is very reliable, arguably more reliable than the majority of cars on a trip like that.

But the reality is that you are hundreds of miles from any individual that woul have any clue at all about how to fix that thing if it should break.

Although computer modules certainly could go out on the Expedition it's extremely unlikely that it would be a 'mission critical' one. If your fuel injector or alternator or whatever went out on the Expedition the garage mechanic in BFE would have at least a clue about where to start and could probably get you limping home. The Prius...they wouldn't touch AND you would not want them touching it.

I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm just saying that contingencies need to be planned for, probably more carefully and fully than one would with a 'normal' car.

And yes, the car can make the trip as I, too, saw Corvettes...but I though those people were idiots too...if it is raining and you're on one of the all dirt detours you're going to have to slug through some mud and muck. Do be sure you have something other than the OEM tires on.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Personally I would go for it, but I already have some "unimproved road driving" with Tochatihu.

Bring two spares and a compressor, as already suggested. The cute little scissors jack may not be the best roadside choice. A tow strap for mud extraction, and hope the next car along is not a Corvette!

Have not driven there but if rocky or VERY uneven surfaces, you might plan for "catastrophic fluid loss". This means full refills of pure water for (either of the) coolant loops, engine oil, and T4 ATF (please confirm my memory here) for the twirly gears. Epoxy and a bit of tin can to cover the hole. An exhaust leak upstream of the last O2 sensor (which I believe follows the 3 way catalyst) might put that entire system in a foul mood. I believe there are heat curing tape bandages available for that?

If a suspension component or an ECU fails, you will indeed be in the hands of the nearest Toyota shop. Find out in advance which of them are near your intended route.

Some broken metal parts could be locally rewelded of course.

And if there is any room left, enough gear to manage an unplanned roadside overnight.

I hope that I have not talked you out of it...

DAS and Tochatihu, with only a couple of tiny underbody scratches fo far

10. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Changing the tires is a very good suggestion Evan.

11. Frank Hudon

just talked to my brother in law in Whitehorse, Yukon and he has confirmed that the road is paved all the way.

12. Shelley

Shelley New Member

Hi you guys..Does anyone know how the prius performs in the snow?..I'm really thinking seriously about getting one but still want to research a bit more...Any comments and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Ahhh Alaska..I've always wanted to go...Shelley :mrgreen:

13. BrettDanKen

BrettDanKen Junior Member

I checked on Toyota dealerships on the route and it looks like the long stretches are still from Prince George to Whitehorse and from Whitehorse to Fairbanks. When we drove up there in '92 we went from Prince Rupert up the Cassair Highway (mostly gravel road), over the Top of the World Highway (again mostly gravel) to Dawson City, and up to Inuvik on the Dempster Highway (about 450 miles one way gravel road), then home down the AlCan Highway. The only significant problems we had was a trailer full of dust (a couple of times) and a broken window on the camper shell. Lots of frost heaves around Beaver Creek and some long rough construction detours. I really am not too paranoid about the trip, it should be a better road now. Would anyone have any info on whether or not there may be trained Prius mechanics at the dealerships? How about clearance issues? Anyone driven over the Alcan recently? Are there adequate motels on the route nowadays? It would probably be July-ish when we go. Thanks again for all the responses, many VERY helpful!!

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i flew up to sterling ak and helped a friend drive his motorhome down in 2000. it aint no different than being in Montana or Nevada. its all paved and much much different then the first time i went up that route in 1968 when it consisted of a "small" 1300 mile gravel stretch

i say with the range on the Prius, its perfect for the trip. definitely would only do it in the summer time because you get into some high elevations where snow in the summer is possible. (it snowed briefly on the way down in 1970)