1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius To Alaska?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John6012, May 18, 2008.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This is probably directed to someone who has already made this trip but here goes... I want to go to Alaska next summer and do some fishing and sightseeing. We plan on taking the Prius on the Alaska ferry from Bellingham to Kodiak and then go on to Homer and Seward. Will this trip tear up the prius? The gas in AK is over $4.00 per gallon and I'm currently getting 51-51 MPG. We could sleep in the Prius if necessary unti we get to Seward and then stay in the Army recreation camp for 7 days and catch the halibuts/salmon/cod. As I understand it, the roads thru Canada and the Alcan highway are often rough-rocks, small boulders etc. We'd be coming back on the ferry also. What do you folks think, will it tear up the Prius on the Alaska roads?

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done the Bellingham-to-Anchorage trip twice, once in each direction.

In the summer of '05 I drove my brand new Prius 5700 miles from OK to CA to AK via BC, Prince George, and a portion of the AlCan.

In the winter of '07 I drove my '05 Prius from Anchorage, AK to Haines, AK. I then caught the ferry to Bellingham.

Did it tear up my car? Heck no. The roads aren't that bad. Heck, I even drove from Anchorage to San Antonio, TX in a 2000 Porsche Boxster in September of '07 and it didn't hurt it a bit.

Just watch out for wildlife! Parts of the AlCan aren't paved, but completely passable. Get a bra for your car.

I would recommend driving the whole way. It would ultimately be much cheaper and you won't have to deal with seasickness in the Queen Charlotte Sound, nor the boredome of being stuck on a motor vessel for a week.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. fisheye

fisheye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, you won't have any problem. Our roads are fine, the Alcan is paved if you go that way, just watch for the frost heaves and moose. There are lots of us Prius owners here in Anchorage (at least). Gas hit $3.99.9 yesterday. Makes me love my car that much more.

4. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for your replies, A Prius sure does beat the V8 pickups passing me only to meet up at the next stop light....as I ease out getting 51 MPG compared to their est. 14 MPG.