1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius to Prius Pix. Old Vs New.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by priusblogg, Jan 1, 2010.

1. priusblogg

priusblogg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've heard the Gen II Prius described in an Automotive magazine as a "Trigger fish on wheels". Moving the roof peak back has certainly changed the reading of the profile.
    The side crease also improves the graphic of the profile.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I like the Gen II better...

1 person likes this.
  4. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know I was taught that Good design is like Chili...The longer it is cooked the better it is.

That said I think that Toyota did a good job of updating what was obviously an Iconic design from the Gen II. Is the Gen III better? That being subjective is impossible to say...does the Gen III maintain visual continuity with the Gen II. In many ways it is recognizable as a Prius. The Gen II may not attain the Icon status of a VW Beatle, Mini, or Jeep Willeys...but its face has been memorialized in many places...

I am surprised that Toyota changed the face graphic as much as they did. I personally find the Headlamp clusters on the Gen III attractive but they are a clear disconnect from Gen II.

I understand that they wanted the Gen III to appear more "sporty" to match upgraded driving dynamics (tighter steering, more power, etc). To that end the agreessive downward diagonal graphic serves two functions making the car appear to be more in motion when still and visually enlarging the wheel housings by contributing to an illusion that the top of the wheel arch is closer to the top of the hood than it actually is ala 2000 BMW 3-series.

Overall I think they were successful. I agree with you that Gen II will always be a design Icon. Gen III may not match this status but may broaden appeal beyond early adapters.

5. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen II looks tubby. Because its side panels are rounded, it looks a little bloated and lethargic. Like the "Ugly Betty" character, not America Ferrera, its something you have to like for its intelligent, sensible, and endearing personality. There is not a single feature on the Gen II I better than Gen III, which explains why I was never interested in a Prius.

The sharp crease at the beltline of the Gen III is the feature that first attracted me to any Prius and is still IMO its best feature. It looks sharp, chiseled, poised, and muscular (relatively speaking of course). I also like the squarish nose, giving the front overhang a shorter look. Now it's got personality, and reasonably good looks. But the 15" rims don't work.

6. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I know that taste is personal but I never liked the looks of the Prius and would never have considered one until the GenIII. Although I applaud the familial resemblance, I find the looks of this year's model much better than the older ones, but that is just my opinion.

7. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree
    EVen with the $3gs discount on a 2009, I did not want it

8. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice pics, same color makes the comparison much easier thanks. I also like the Gen III (looks) much better, but YMMV.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pics! Looks great in full resolution.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the pics. I love it when people have posted pics of Gen III v Gen II in the same or similar color.

Personally, I like the Gen II more because it's a smoother, more uniform and revolutionary design; and I think the Gen III's lightning bolt headlights (and to a lesser degree, its tailights and rear profile) look dopey.

Note: What's shown in priusblogg's pics is the Gen II Touring Edition which has a longer spoiler and different wheels than the standard Gen II Prius.

11. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for the nice pics!
    I love the Gen III style. Every time I get into my Prius, I am amazed how much interior room I have for my 6'5" frame.
    I just wish I had the money for a level IV Prius.:(