1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Today and Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdb-44, May 7, 2004.

1. jdb-44

jdb-44 Junior Member

Well!

My Prius is (supposedly) en route from West Virginia to my home in Illinois, as we speak. The dealer, University Toyota, said they'd drive it out here--that's why I bought from them, besides the obvious reason of their nearly non-existent wait list.

My question is this: how much, if any, should I tip the two drivers making the ~9-hour, 550+ mile trip? I know it's their job, but they are doing me a service.

Jared

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm tough question...

if tipping was expected then im sure the dealership would have mentioned it. but of course, most tipping situations follow an unwritten rule of etiquette.

I think if you are happy with the condition of the car, etc. maybe $50-$100 a piece would do it.

my sister works for a car dealership, i'll call her and see if she has any idea of how much people get paid for that kind of work.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i talked to my sister and she was no help. to be honest with ya, Ford doesnt have the luxury of people going cross country to get one of their vehicles.

she has dropped off cars at people's homes before who had the vehicle serviced and got a $20 tip before but there are thousands of Ford dealerships sooo....actually the determining factor i think is the millions of unwanted Ford vehicles...

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First question is how much is the base charge for the delivery? Is delivery included in the purchase price of the car? If you are paying extra for that, I would tip what you would do in restaurants, about 15% .
    If the shipping is included and you are not paying extra, then I would use your judgement and figure how much you think the service was worth (remembering how scarce these cars are), and, assuming the car arrives clean and spotless, then tip accordingly. If they go the extra mile, like washing the car just before dropping it off, I'd be even more generous.
    My bottom line is that people are paying thousands over retail to get these cars and are getting NOTHING for that extra money. You could consider that too when tipping these guys.
    Find out from the shipper if tipping is even expected or permitted.