1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Touring - 16" or 15" wheels for winter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aegison, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Most unlike me, I have started planning ahead for next winter by looking for reasonably priced oem Touring 16" rims. However, one interesting point was raised, which is whether it's better to put 15" wheels on the Touring for winter because of the few choices of quality snow tires to fit the 16" for the Prius application, and the many qualiity snow tires available for the 15" Prius application.

Opinions? Traps? Your experience? How much will it throw off the speedometer & trip meter?

2. Sp33dy_gr33n

Sp33dy_gr33n New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an 08 Touring grade and put 15" Bridgestone Blizzak WS60's on. Purchased 4 tires and 15" Rial Campo rims from the tirerack. The WS60s were awesome on snow and ice.

Only 2 issues from doing this - 1) Speedo read about 3% fast and 2) Tire pressure monitor light stayed illuminated because I did not get the TPMS sensor installed on the winter set.

I have no regrets and the winter tires were simply awesome, especially on ice.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that it is a good idea to obtain winter tires in the 15" size considering price and available choices.

The two tire sizes in question are 185/65-15 vs. 195/55-16. The nominal circumference rating is 76.84" for the 15" size vs. 76.78" for the 16" size. Therefore the difference in speedometer reading is going to be less than 0.1% which is not noticeable or meaningful.
    Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

However, actual tires that you might buy will differ in size from the nominal circumference specs listed above. Further, the speedometer may have some error built in.

4. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have pics of your tire/wheel combo? Did your car look "funny" after putting smaller wheels? This is my biggest isse..

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car shouldn't look funny with 15" wheels. The Touring is exactly the same dimensions as the "regular" Prius, except for the "spoiler" (which is seriously like an inch difference, I can't even tell).