1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius Touring is discontinued by Toyota!

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PLMurphy, Apr 4, 2007.

1. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

:( Apparently Toyota has discontinued the new Touring model for the time being. I found no official announcement or article. However my dealer says yes, unknown reason since they never got any except my two they found elsewhere. Plus, if you go to Toyota.com/buildatoyota the model is not there. You can only build the original model. :rolleyes:

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It showed up when I just tried it:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    makes no sense unless you mean Virginia isn't getting any more Touring Editions.

4. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I just tried the Toyota site, and both models are still listed. However, only package 1 is listed, none of the higher packages are listed for either one.

5. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Available packages are different depending on where you live as determined by the zip code you enter.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Apr 4 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]417865[/snapback]</div>
    Cherry Hill Toyota has 1 Touring out of 14 in inventory. Liberty Toyota has 1 Touring out of 2. Lawrence Toyota has 2 Touring out of 10. Uncommon. Maybe rare. But I doubt discontinued. Try finding dealers in Delaware using one of their zip codes. If you can't find one closer to home contact the Internet Sales Managers at the NJ dealers to see if they have what you are looking for. On the plus side, NJ dealers do not have the bogus advertizing fee. Happy hunting.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This depends on where you live. In states with California's emision standards, i think it's discontinued. If you use 80829 as the zip ( manitou springs, co ) you still get touring. If you use mine: 95120 ( san jose, ca ) you don't get touring.

just my random .02

8. setheriah

setheriah New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Apr 4 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]418021[/snapback]</div>

I did a few zip codes originally.. calif seems to not have any and the others only have the basic #1 package.. and some you might get a package 3 or 4 but no more package 5 or 6 I haven't seen... What is wrong with the touring? Maybe I am glad that I got the standard model after all...

Correction V8 Cobra Kid is right about manitou springs a package 6 is available in CO apparently and a package 5 as well indicated by options C and D... (5 and 6)

But why does an additional package 5 or 6 for the touring have a MSRP less than the base models package 5 or 6. Are they trying to get rid of the rest of the tourings I guess.

Bob Bridge advertisement only indicated one touring in inventory...

9. Jimtak

Jimtak New Member

When I was looking to buy a Touring in Late February, and "negotiating" with five dealerships within 50 miles, I heard a couple of stories, both rumors that the Touring was outselling the Standard and Toyota was a) not geared up to product bunches of Touring models, B) had just increased production of the Standard. That each dealer I talked to had dozens of Standards to offer, and only a few Tourings made it more interesting. One dealer tried to talk me out of the Touring, as the plastic wheel covers generally available would not fit the 16" wheels, and without the wheel covers, the center hub would be exposed (but the center cap available for Standards fits the Touring, too...).
    I was also being nudged toward the Camry Hybrid as a better choice if I wanted more features and handling.

So it seems like a marketing strategy gone astray. You can buy JDM and TOM parts to do an aftermarket upgrade, but Toyota did this for you at a lower cost in the Touring. And then they found that this cut into their Standard Prius and Camry Hybrid sales projections....and they found that their production plans would have the Touring remain as a "rare bird". So they stopped shipping until the achieve better balance.

Just wait until they release the Sienna Hybrid instead of the Previa/Estima Hybrid... the Sienna came into being to appease the "bigger mini-van market" use to Voyagers and Caravans. Will the market for a Hybrid seven passenger van go for the smaller, more efficient Estima, or the more luxurious Sienna?

Personally, I was looking for lower emissions, better gas mileage and chose the Prius over the Camry, and the Touring suspension was icing.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Apr 4 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]418021[/snapback]</div>
    NJ follows CA emissions and they still trickle in. Perhaps the difference in sticker prices is due to the package discounts.

11. setheriah

setheriah New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 5 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]418605[/snapback]</div>
    So maybe kick myself for not getting the touring I dont know... :angry: But I am still happy with the smooth ride... I have 15" wheels on my old car

12. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't know about being discontinued but I can tell you it was virtually impossible to find a touring edition near me when I was shopping for my prius. Colors seemed to be an issue here in Central, PA as well as I had to fight to get the Seaside Pearl in the package I wanted. Now if you wanted Super White...heck everyone had those. :)

13. setheriah

setheriah New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ Apr 6 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]418814[/snapback]</div>

Blue does seem to be a popular color... They didnt have one in the touring when i was getting mine... but settled on the regular package 5

14. mightywhitee

mightywhitee New Member

I was also told that the touring model was discontinued when I bought my Prius last Friday. Salesman said they just were not in demand. Makes sense, as it seems like prius fans, more often then not, aren't the type that are looking for a sportier handling in a car.

I would imagine that the explanation for the website not showing it as discontinued is because there are still touring models out there at the dealerships and they don't want to screw over the ones that are still stuck with them. Probably just letting them quietly go away.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mightywhitee @ Apr 6 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]419271[/snapback]</div>
    That was because he did not have one in stock and did not want to lose a sale.

16. mightywhitee

mightywhitee New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Apr 7 2007, 11:10 AM) [snapback]419374[/snapback]</div>
    No, he already knew exactly what I wanted at that point and we had agreed on a price. He was just making conversation.

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mightywhitee @ Apr 7 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]419444[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there is a disclaimer on the Build and Price Your 2007 Prius configurator: "Note: This vehicle Configurator is designed to identify vehicles commonly available in your area. If you would prefer to purchase a vehicle with no options or additional options, please contact your local dealer to check for current availability or the possibility of placing an order for such a vehicle." With that disclaimer, I wouldn't use the ability to configure or not configure to mean much. Given that I was able to take delivery of a 2007 Touring Edition on March 23, 2007 straight off the boat from Japan, it would seem that Touring Editions are still being produced. What you may be seeing is the 2007 Touring Edition production run being completed. Afterall, the Touring Edition was supposed to account for no more than 5% of total Prius production in 2007.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Apr 4 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]418021[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that emission standards is determinative on whether you can get a Touring Edition or not. The Touring Edition is certified as a a 50 State vehicle. The emission control parts are exactly the same (at least same part numbers) between the non-Touring and Touring Editions. The difference between the Touring and non-Touring Editions are in the "tuned suspension", 16 inch wheels with 195/55-16 tires, and an approximately 1-inch longer lip on the rear spoiler. Pricing out the door is a function of supply and demand, so that may be a further differentiator, but not a technical one.

18. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PLM @ Apr 4 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]417865[/snapback]</div>
    There are five dealerships in the Seattle area with Prius Touring Edition Package #3 cars as of today.

We bought ours in December. The first dealership (which we had always bought our Toyota's from before) couldn't be bothered getting one in red for us so we went to another dealership that "bent over backwards" to find us one. They could have just had it on the lot.

We paid just over sticker price instead of the $3,000 over sticker they wanted. But then I was ready to get up and walk out and maybe they could tell. It's always good to hit them at the end of the month.

19. chutneypopcorn

chutneypopcorn New Member

I just picked up my Barca Red Touring pkg 6 from Rob Larson Toyota in Tacoma. Ordered it in Feb, waited about 7weeks for it. The blue was available in a week or so, but other touring colors, esp red were scarce. If you are in the Pac NW, and looking for a touring, this dealership is a good one to contact. Ivory Burns was the name of the salesperson and he seemed very straightforward. Good experience. Plus the service manager arranged had my modes done for a moderate fee.

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I recently logged on to toyota.com - "Build your Toyota - Prius - ZIP code" and found over 50 2007 Prius Touring Edition available in North Texas, many in dealers' stock, others on the way.

Seems it's a Regional thing and the South Central Region {Houston TX distributer} has many T/E. If you want a Touring Edition, come on over to Texas, we'd be happy to put your dollars in the Texas economy.