1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius truly green?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bredekamp, Feb 28, 2007.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all. Lately I have seen articles and the like that claims that the Prius is not really as green as everyone believes. Apparently it comes down to how much energy it takes to build a Prius.

To build a conventional car:
    Total CO2 to build components and assemble them = x tons

To build a Prius:
    Total CO2 to build components and assemble them = (x + y) tons

How long does it take to make up for the y tons of CO2 above? How much is y? Does anyone have any data?

The Prius emit much less CO2 than a conventional car - FACT
    How long should one use a Prius to win back the extra CO2 emitted (if any) during manufacture? - UNKNOWN

What steps do Toyota Japan take to clean up their factories? Do they supplement their power systems at the factory with renewables? How green is Toyotas' operations?

Anybody know?

2. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Feb 28 2007, 08:23 AM) [snapback]397762[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget about the energy used and the CO2 released to transport the Prius across the Pacific Ocean. Last time I checked those transport vessels consumed diesel fuel by the ton.

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone more familiar than I can point you to threads that indicate the "dust to dust" lifecycle of a Prius is greener than a conventional car. Art Spinella of CNW Research has been spreading misinformation that a Prius is dirtier than a Hummer because of the batteries - they are as one put it - "an opinion for hire".

Far more nickel is used for steel than batteries on hybrids. NiMH batteries are less toxic than lead acid. Comsumer electrioncis and cell phones use NiHM batteries more than hybrids.

4. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]397767[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly!

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Albertus,

It seems kind of odd yesterday you were asking about keeping your Prius cool in the sun ( http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=3...mp;#entry397216 ), then make these posts - are you going to sell your Prius?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]397767[/snapback]</div>
    This is an interesting implication: you mean transporting a Prius from Yokahama to Seattle emitts more CO2 than if it was a Corolla or Tacoma? Maybe more than an Chevy Aveo from S Korea?

6. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 28 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]397776[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily. The heavier the car, the more fuel a container ship would use. I would guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong) a 1 ton car would take a fixed amount of energy to move from Yokohama to Seatle. Considering the Prius emits less CO2 than a Corolla, the Prius would be better able to compensate.

7. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Don’t forget all the huge suv’s and big trucks. All that material doesn’t waist anything wile making the huge vehicle. We all know that a diesel F350 is way greener in stop and go traffic than a prius because after all it didn’t use as much co2 to make it and you don’t have to dispose of the toxic batteries when the truck is no longer wanted. So lets all go out and get ourselves some big giant trucks. I almost forgot the v12 twin turbo luxury vehicles from Germany they are more green than the prius too.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Feb 28 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]397778[/snapback]</div>
    Um... boats aren't necessarily like cars, and the energy usage isn't really as impacted by the weight of cargo as a tractor trailer would be.

For instance, the amount of energy to transport a 4-Runner or Sequoia is probably not much more than the energy required to transport a Prius.

Now if you look at the case of a (SULEV) Highlander Hybrid, and compare it to a (PZEV) Ford Escape Hybrid, the FEH has a much lesser environmental impact over it's lifetime. Probably even greater than realized when you factor in how... lax... the Japanese government is with enforcing plant emissions.

9. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Feb 28 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]397784[/snapback]</div>
    Before we get ourselves tied up into knots here, can anyone direct us to a scientific study of some kind? Something to settle the argument. Is the Prius greener than a big'ol SUV or not? Taking into acount lifetime CO2 emissions.

My guess is it IS greener, but show me the beef/figures.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the foreseeable future, cars are going to be transported by conventional means by all automakers.

Just in case, Toyota is not responsibile for the greeness of the transports or airliners - at least not until greener alternatives surface.

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Copying in its entirety, MRV's recent post to the Yahoo group about this:

"Here's the 2004 Toyota Prius Green Report (life cycle assessment):
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/k_forum/tenji/pdf/pgr_e.pdf
    (you'll need to download the Japanese fonts for your PDF reader in order to read it, but the entire document is written in English.)

Over the lifespan of the Prius, when compared to a comparable mid-sized gasoline vehicle, the Prius comes out ahead in the life cycle assessment (LCA) for airborne emissions for CO2, NOx, SOx, HC, but actually does worse for PM (thanks to the material and vehicle production stages). Lifespan is given as 10 years use/100,000km.
    The CO2 break-even point for the 2004 Prius compared to this unnamed gasoline vehicle is given at 20,000km. (more CO2 is emitted during Prius production, but the Prius makes up for it over it's driven lifetime.)"

12. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 28 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]397789[/snapback]</div>
    I googled : " Prius dust to dust study "

It looks like no-one can agree. It looks like things will only really improve with CO2 emissions when ALL cars are hybrids. Right now, we are the people pushing the revolution.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Feb 28 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]397792[/snapback]</div>
    So I can relax then. Thanks :D

13. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Feb 28 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]397794[/snapback]</div>

It took a long time to emit greenhouse gases from fossil fuels, and it will take a long time to reverse it (although the sooner - the better).

Googling for "Art Spinella", "CNW Research", and his article claiming a Hummer takes less resources than a Prius will be found. At GH, a member actually contacted him...

Background: A hybrid driver emailed Mr Spinella as to where they generated revenue. They replied companies request them to write research papers for a fee. That seems like asking a waiter how you look before you finish the meal. The hybrid drivers' inquiry of how Mr. Spinella had data a Hummer is greener because it's simpler and has double the life of a hybrid was bypassed. Instead, Mr. Spinella replies with a personal attack. Granted, the inquirer could have been more tactful, the business reply seems anything but professional.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Hybrid Driver - inquiry")</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Art Spinella - the reply")</div>
    Is this out of Professional Business Writing 101?

14. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Feb 28 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]397792[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, sure, 60,000 miles is a great estimate of lifespan of a car.

I have more than double that on two Civics, and both are in great shape, good for many, many more miles than that.

My estimate of a Prius lifespan is at least 200,000 miles, which is more than 3 times the estimate you cited.

Harry

15. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 28 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]397800[/snapback]</div>

Haha, what a jerk.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there is one thing worse than the common troller, it's a "authority" such as Art Spinella. Interestingly, he greatly praised the Chevy Volt. I suspect it had less to do with it being a serial hybrid and more with it being from GM.

17. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 28 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]397826[/snapback]</div>

It is easily fixed. All one need do is point him to the dictionary definitions of "fact" and "opinion" and explain to him that his opinions aren't necessarily facts.

18. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 28 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]397776[/snapback]</div>
    Nobody buys a Chevy Aveo so they feel like they are helping the earth. I don;t think that is true of the almighty Prius. ;) Maybe Toyota can use sail boats built of only recycled composites.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Albertus @ Feb 28 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]397775[/snapback]</div>
    Not that I'm a fan of big tanker ships ... but the fact is their engines are MUCH closer to 100% fuel efficient than most any othe engine

20. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 28 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]397888[/snapback]</div>

That is far more likely to happen than GM building a car to compete with the Prius.

Harry