1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius under the hood

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MrPrezident, Jan 16, 2011.

1. MrPrezident

MrPrezident New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm new to learning about cars in general. I just got a 2011 Prius and now I've been fascinated about how it works. I haven't found anything completely listing the components under the hood for the 3rd gen Prius. So I thought I'd post here and check to see if I've correctly identified everything visible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1) HSD coolant?
    2) wiper fluid
    3) Air intake muffler?
    4) HSD
    5) Air filter
    6) Inverter
    7) Inverter coolant
    8) Brake fluid
    9) ECU?
    10) fuse box?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pry #4 up and you'll see it's a piece of show-biz plastic, over the engine valve cover ;)

I believe #1 is the regular coolant, for the circuit that runs through the engine, and #7 is the coolant for the electric motor circuit.

#10 is indeed the fuse box (there's another under dash), and there is an electrical contact point in there you can use for connection positive jumper or charger clamp, under a little red lid. Just to left of the orange cable is a little metal "tit" sticking out of the side of engine block: a good connection point for negative jumper or charger clamps.

*8 is brake fluid, but level check is at a second bottle, further back under the cowl. There's a little plastic door in the cowl that flips open if you need to top up brake fluid.

3. MrPrezident

MrPrezident New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know you can't see in the pictures, but #7 actually says "inverter coolant" on the label.

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just change 1 to ICE collant
    and 4 to ICE

and your good to go. And any orange cable may have very high voltage in it.

5. MrPrezident

MrPrezident New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The HSD includes an ICE as well as two electric motor-generators. That's why I put HSD instead of putting ICE. You may be right about labeling #1 as ICE collant, but would have thought there would be some coolant for the motor-generators as well, and I don't see any special motor-generator coolant, so I was thinking that maybe that coolant is used for cooling all three motors in the HSD.

6. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The other/inverter coolant goes into the trans where the electric motors are. So 1 is just the ICE coolant.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I guess I'm just trying to dodge the technogab, ie:

motor = the electrical bit
    engine = the gasoline bit

I hate how "ICE" replaced "engine". A perfectly legitimate word in the english language supplanted by a esoteric 3 word acronym for the same effing thing ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Coprius2010

Coprius2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question? I haven't been able to find a light for under the hood...concluding...there isn't one. Is that right...or is it hidden somewhere? I asked about this for future updates...

9. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

No please......no light for under the hood.....it would just be another possible cause for drain on the 12 volt battery. Something that it doesn't need.

Carry a good flashlight........as all car owners should do

10. MrPrezident

MrPrezident New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What about #9? Is that actually an ECU? and if so, aren't there multiple ECUs in the Prius? Which ECU is that?

11. MrPrezident

MrPrezident New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Also, where is the radiator?

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, that is the engine ECU and yes there are MANY ECUs through out the car. You should see what is behind your glove box and behind the driver's side dash.
    The radiator is where it is on the other cars under that black trim piece in front of the engine/ICE. In addition to the main radiator there is an inverter radiator that sits in front of the main radiator just behind the upper, smaller grill opening.

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Prez...,

There are two radiators in the Prius. One radiator is a two sectioned unit, having one section for the engine, and the other for the inverter cooling. The second radiator is the Air Conditioning coolant radiator.

They are located under the black plastic piece towards the front of the engine compartment.

14. Coprius2010

Coprius2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree....to a point. In an emergency or freezing conditions....get under the hood quick and out-of-there. At least give you an off/on switch option.:cheer2:

15. dureel

dureel New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the layout the same (or very similar) on the Gen II? If not, do you know where I can see a diagram for the Gen II?