1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius unfortunate incident - Beware!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been driving my Prius for about 4 months now. Yesterday I had to drive my wife's van instead. I parked, put the shift in P, set the parking brake and locked the door as I shut it.

My daughter then pointed out that the car was still running with the keys in the ignition! I've never done anything like that before in my life! I realize I've lost the habit of turning off the ignition and taking out the keys. Boy how quickly things change. I've been driving for 30 years and just after a few months the Prius has completely changed my ingrained habits.

Luckily my daughter had her keys so we got back in without any problem but ...

WARNING:
    This could happen to YOU so -- BEWARE!

Bwaa Haa Haa Haa Haaaaa ... uh ... *cough*cough*
    excuse me.

2. cnetter

cnetter New Member

Sorta like when I used to drive only a manual. One day on a business trip I pulled out of the airport in the rental car (an automatic), approached a stop sign and "threw in the clutch". Funny thing about automatics, the left most peddle isn't a clutch.

Thanks for the warning "Kablooie".

3. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just like when you drive a car with automatic off headlights and then go back to the ones you have to turn off.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    on occasion i am forced (i DO go kicking and screaming) to drive my Ford pickup with a manual transmission. and its amazing how fast i was spoiled on the Prius. the ford seems like such a huge hassle to drive. and to think that some people think the Prius is complicated to drive. well i realized in my brief trips back in time to 20th century automotive that THEY were the complicated ones to drive. the Prius is soooo easy.

5. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have SE/SS, that removes a huge chunk of the hassle of entering and starting a car. No need to get the keys out, no need up open the door either manually or with a fob. No need to put the keys in the ignition...

6. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SE/SS

I thought Smart Entry came standard on all 04 Prius'?

7. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont have it.

BUT, the car still senses the fob and will beep if i leave the vehicle with the fob in the car. but you can still lock the car if you take the fob out of the ignition. but it wont lock if the fob is left in the ignition. but you can lock the door if you have the spare fob and lock the doors remotely.

9. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How can you lock the doors without the fob? I've never unlocked or locked my car with anything other than those wonderful buttons on the key. Do that and you'll never leave it in the car. ;)

10. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By having the FOB in my pocket and pushing the little black button on the outside of the vehicle.

11. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This weekend I had to drive a Camry. Not too much trouble, but when I parked it my left foot tried to set the parking brake!

12. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ya I forget stuff like that all the time.
    I can see that happening in the future.

My car was in the shop recently.
    (Prius hurry here, I hope my car lasts till then)
    I borrowed my dad's car during that time.
    Well on his you put the key in, not in the steering column, but in the dash to the right of it.
    Well on MY car the cigarette lighter is there.
    WHenever I went to turn the car off I kept grabbing the cigarette lighter.
    DOH!!

Alpha

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The parking brake is the only problem I had with the rental Prius. My wife drove us all to Friendly's (chain restaraunt similar to Denny's) on Sunday, in prep for her driving it without me today. When we got back out she couldn't find the parking brake pedal. She had mashed it in so hard I thought we were going to be walking home! I literally had to get my face down below seat level outside the driver's door to see it. I finally managed to force it down enough to release. I think there is a reason her Dad occasionally refers to her as "Powerful Katrina" even though her name is Janet :) She does sometimes use the "bigger hammer" theory a bit earlier than necessary.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am amazed how fast I got used to the Prius and what feels 'normal'. I drove my Odyssey today for the first time since last Wed and the friction brakes felt really odd, the car didn't stop "normally'. And it isn't because they are worn out, it got 4 new rotors and pads less than a month ago!

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just a reality check: does "Smart Entry / Smart Start" refer to the car or the driver?

I laugh now, but just wait until I get Priupus. It won't take 4 months before I do something goofy.

16. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Smart entry, provided for by the car, provides a seemingly easy for not-so-smart drivers. :mrgreen:

17. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

Kablooie, that's a nice looking T. What year is it? I have a 1925 coupe. that I restored in 1974. I am waiting (I think) on my Prius to appear someday. I managed to lock myself out of my Yukon XL even before I registered the Onstar service. Thanks for the interesting advice. I don't have to lock the T - very few people know how to drive a car with three pedals, and no accelerator.

18. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a 1920 Coupe. I'd love to have one but all I could afford was one of these new fangled Prius things.

19. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quite a choice to make between cars. :mrgreen: