1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius USER-GUIDE (6th edition)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Aug 2, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to the USER-GUIDE, the index of which is displayed above.

Over the last 6 months, I've been noting thoughts/photos that need to be added and updated. Now I'm applying them to the document.

Got any ideas you'd like to contribute?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry John, I'm not up to reading the entire thing this morning, but I wondered if you'd included a section describing the differences (albeit minor) b/w the '04, '05 and '06 MYs. Esp. stuff like the new MFD, the back-up camera, voice commands available for the '06 NAV, etc.

Might be time to eliminate the SS/SE stuff and transform it to the now accepted SKS nomenclature to avoid confusion.

Otherwise, as usual, good product that we constantly refer folks to and I still hear people mention as one of their first sources of learning about the Prius even down here in BFE.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]296228[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, since I haven't observed that as a topic that repeatedly gets discussed or even requested.

Part of the problem is the lack of contributions from other owners. I obviously cannot include a photo of something new/different if I am not given permission to publish it. (hint hint)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]296228[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure if that time has come yet. Perhaps the advent of the 2007 allows it now. Originally, I intentionally avoided it since the some SKS still required a key for starting the engine. So using the term actually contributed to confusion.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your call, but I'm sure that 80% of people would be completely confused if you started discussing the SS/SE system now days. There are definately far more 2G Prius owners who's owner's manuals refer to the system as SKS than SS/SE. Just grouping those two sections together under SKS and making a brief note saying "Originally called SS/SE by Toyota but later adopted the new term" you'd clear up any confusion.

But if someone with an '06 Prius was having questions about their SKS they'd never have heard of SS/SE and might have a little trouble finding the information they want in your document.

The issues about the '06 voice system have come up quite frequently on this board actually, lots of frustrations on how it works and what can and can't be done with it. I think it's time you kidnap an '06 owner with NAV, or at least hijack their car, for some experimentation and photos!

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 2 2006, 10:57 AM) [snapback]296314[/snapback]</div>
    Alright, I'll restate the need...

Issues like that where there is lots of chatter but no one goes to the trouble of requesting me to specifically address it, won't get addressed.

In other words, it's hard for an over 118,000 mile, almost 6-year owner to judge need. You have to explictly point it out sometimes... then contribute very specific suggestions. Of course, a kidnap & hijack endeavor could be rather productive too.

6. Festus

Festus New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 2 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]296223[/snapback]</div>

Great guide! Very useful. (looks like it could use some proofreading/editing though)
    :)

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 2 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]296320[/snapback]</div>
    If you need an '06 for pictures and such, i'd be willing to give you an afternoon of my time with my '06 sometime (only mention since you're in minnesota - i'm about 10 min north of st. paul off of 35E) if you're in the area

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Festus @ Aug 2 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]296526[/snapback]</div>
    That edition has been available for almost 6 months. So volunteers are clearly not abundant.

As for the availability of update I'm working on now, that'is still a few days off. I'll give a heads up when a draft is ready.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 2 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]296537[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I need an evening for screen shots. And yes, I'm in the same area.

The Multi-Display differences are the only thing that people would like to see, right?

9. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 2 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]296223[/snapback]</div>
    First of all, John, thank you so much for creating such a useful & easy to read user guide! I downloaded it & read/understood most of it right away. Pretty good since I haven't taken delivery of my Prius yet & I can't experiment with anything I learn about online.

What I can tell you is that as a newbie it would certainly be invaluable.

As others mentioned, pics from the 2006 model would be very helpful as would coverage of features not in earlier models (tire pressure warning?). Actually, since a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe images of those warnings as well.

You've already covered so much stuff that I learned just reading this forum- it's impressive. You might also consider adding a few others things, seemingly trivial stuff (when the vanity lights come on or NOT/when the "check engine light" could mean the doors are open) which have been asked by newbies in this forum more recently.

A "fun" thing to add would be the "Easter eggs" or hidden places in the Prius. After the PriusChat meeting at Grossingers I shared what others had told me to inform a Prius-owner of 7 months & neighbor where hidden areas (i.e. drawer, extra outlet, hidden hiding places in truck) were located. He was impressed & immediately asked for the online address of PriusChat. :D

Whatever you decide to add or not, I'm already grateful for what you HAVE written.

I have the feeling that I'm not the only newbie who feels this way.

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire pressure monitor sensors are new, the chrome accents, leather interior, There are ASL controls on the multi display, for those with an EV button there is a notice that EV is not available.

There is a button to disable the TPMS near the SKS disable button. I suspect a careful search would reveal other minor difference that are significant enough to cause confusion with your '04/'05 photos and info and info on dealing with the TPMS would be valuable since there are issues if tire are changed, if they're damaged, etc.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, the AV jack is new.

12. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    keep the list coming... we'll try to work out a photo op for the new version here sometime soon

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    don't forget the backup camera

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Festus @ Aug 2 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]296526[/snapback]</div>
    Hey John....Looks like you got yerself a volunteer for some help there! :)

15. c4

c4 Active Member

Quick comment- the cabin air filter is *NOT* HEPA; it is a high efficiency filter, but not HEPA standard. A true HEPA filter has gaskets and seals all around it as even a small amount of air bypassing the filter would cause the system to fail HEPA standards, additionally, in an incredibly dirty automotive ventilation system, a true HEPA-certified filter with no prefiltering would clog up in a matter of days..

HEPA is equivalent to the ASHRAE rating of MERV 16 or better; the Prius filter, based on visual comparison of media with commercial filters as well as auditory comparison of different media in the system is somewhere in the range of MERV 8-10, ie, nowhere close to HEPA standard..

16. tacomel

tacomel New Member

I found the user guide to be a great resource and had a printed-out copy with us when we picked up each of our cars. Before driving off, we flipped right to the page with the backup-beep disabling sequence. Here are some general goodies that would have benefited me:

1. Garage door/homelink programming. We figured out that you had to use one of the transponders to "program" the homelink but then after doing that you had to hold down the homelink button while pressing a button on the garage door opener. Rather than an asterisk that the procedure will only work with some openers, an example procedure for an opener with rolling codes would have saved some experimentation.

2. In the 2006 prius what you call "max cold" is now known as "lo" to get into vent mode.

3. It would be nice to have a few pages on the navigation system. The one thing that took me a while to find was how the POI category works -- e.g., find me the nearest golf course.

4. I've read here about an accident recorder/black box. Although we would hopefully never need to use that, it might be worth a mention so that if you are involved in a crash, you know that it's there.

5. Anything else about my Prius that I haven't discovered yet should definitely be covered. :)

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Festus @ Aug 2 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]296526[/snapback]</div>
    That's where I come in, John. Previously, it was awkward for me to try and get editorial and proofreading suggestions to you. But we recently got new printer/copier/scanners installed here at work. I'll print the manual, mark it up, scan it to PDF, and send it to you. Can I do it over the weekend or should I wait for the next rev?

18. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

From a newbie in New York...

Wonderful guide, John!!

I didn't get the Nav system....but have just finished programming my phone system and the garage door opener...

Love the back-up camera...but have to remember to look to sides still in many situations....

I love it when I am clearly aligned and backing into a parking space...I stop the camera at the curb as seen on the camera and when I get out, there are about 8-10 inches between car and curb...no more bumping up and over with the car.

Hidden spaces in the trunk??

AV outlet....haven't found it yet, but read about it...

t

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All the major additions have been added (plus 11 new photos) and the previously noted updates (including many images) completed. So this...

LOW-RES DRAFT (1.4 MB)

...is now available. Next is to read through it looking for terminology improvements and text that could be tweaked for better understanding.

If you feel something else should be added, please provide detail. Some items simply don't make the cut because there either hasn't been enough requests for it and/or I don't have the information I need to document it properly.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 6th edition is available now.

The image in the first post reflects the contents of it... lots of updates and a bunch of new photos.