1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V (5) Presales install 3m Paint film

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by 360texas, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 360texas

360texas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone have any experience with 3m Paint film already ($299) installed on a new Prius V ? I know its too learly to tell, but maybe on a 2011 Prius ?

3m paint film webpage says it is warranted for 5 year not to bubble or yellow. (Bird poop stain ?)

Was your installation on full painted car body parts? or only the front.

One of the two Prius V (5) we are looking to buy.. already has it on the car.

2. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We have a guy in Colorado (Ace Automotive) who comes to our house and installs 3M film and Llumar window tint. He is great. What I like about him is:
    - I have my car clean as a whistle, but he cleans the front again and uses a clay bar as needed
    - he uses 24" (width) 3M film. Most shops use 12" or maybe 18"
    - by using 24" film, he covered all front painted surfaces on our 2009 Prii from the lowest leading edge to the tops of the headlights
    - all of the front bumper, most of the hood and about half of the front fenders were covered
    - he cuts it in place (instead of using a plotter/cutter) so he can roll the film over the edge of the hood and all the other edges and doesn't leave a lot of 3M edges exposed. You don't want exposed edges because a tiny bit of glue is there and dirt sticks to it so you can see the edge.
    - he covers the headlights (probably not possible on a Prius v) and mirror backs as well as the door pockets

For the film and window tint I pay around $800, but we're repeat customers and get a break on the cost. (A local guy here in AZ wants $1,495 for just film, and he uses a plotter/cutter that leaves exposed edges all over the place.)

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For $300 you aren't getting a lot of film. I put VentureShield film on my 2006 & the 1st trip the 2010 made was for the VentureShield install. As mentioned, get the entire front end, mirror backs, cups on doors & top of rear bumper covered. 3M also makes VentureShield.

I'd rather have damage to the plastic film than the car. So far, no damage from poop or insects, rocks, yes.