1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V broken cell posts

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SparklePimp, Jul 24, 2023.

1. SparklePimp

SparklePimp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I was getting error code P3015 Battery block 5 becomes weak and was having a lot of electrical issues come up from it. So I have started down the path of taking about the battery and see what (if any) cells I could replace.

I find that there is a LOT of rust on the nuts and the copper plates. I used PB Blaster on each nut and let it sit there before I started removing them. Most of the nuts broke free. However, on several cells, the nut was seized more than I knew and I ended up breaking the post to about half the length.

Unfortunately, the cells which have broken posts are reading good.

Can I still use these cells with a little bit of ingenuity? I have brand new plates and nuts to replace onto the cells. Could I put the plate and nuts on the shortened posts without the orange plastic holder to give some length for the nut to hold on to?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that would be dangerous. why not just get new cells?

3. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Cleaning those connectors usually does nothing.........they may look bad but still have a good connection.
    Not worth the risk...... and I have cleaned them.. didn't break anything and zero battery difference.