1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Entune NAV Unit ‘Mission Impossible’ Challenge

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by catgic, Jun 21, 2012.

1. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Gathered Prius Vee’erz –Good morning, Mr. Phelps and all other Prius v owner-drivers out there. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to program the “6200 20th Street, Vero Beach, Florida 32966” address for the Indian River Mall into the “My Destinations” of the Entune NAV Unit of your 2012 Vee.

As always, should you any member of your Prius v Petrol Warfighter force be exposed to displays of Single Digit I.Q.’s by gas guzzling drivers, pulled over by a LEO for driving too slow, aggressively tailgated while hypermiling or be rear ended by an 18-Wheeler, Catgic, the skipper of the Vee Prii One (VP-1) “Gray Ghosts” Petrol Warfighters Squadron, will disavow all knowledge of your actions. This post will self-delete in five seconds. Good luck!

[​IMG]

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Found it with out hassle using any/all search methods. When I entered the address into the Nav system in my Prius v (w/ ATP) I had to change the state to Florida. It was very quick to auto finish all the address components that I was typing in.

The only thing I noticed was that Entune search using Bing changes the street name from 20th street to Osceola Blvd. Seems like a Bing thing. Both street names are used on the Bing Map that I got to show up on my PC when I was double checking.

3. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Chazz – Thank you for the courtesy of your response, and a timely one it was, and accepting and executing the “Impossible Mission.” It appears you were successful, which means I do not have to disavow anything.

You are a Prius v Five w/ Advanced Technology Package data point for a Blue Tooth & Internet Enabled owner-driver, who was successful in entering “6200 20th Street, Vero Beach, Florida 32966” into the Entune NAV System, as installed and functioning in your Pv5ATP. Unfortunately, the “NAV Lady” for the Entune NAV System installed in a good friend’s newly acquired a Prius v Three (i.e. non-ATP package) non-Blue Tooth & Internet Enabled, Entune-Equipped fuel miser is neither compliant, forthcoming, accommodating or eager to “Start Route Guidance.” This proud, new Prius v Three owner cannot get there (the Indian River Mall) from here (the Space Coast) with her fuel-sipping “Shop 'Til You Drop” chariot.

What good is 44 City/42 Around Town/40 Highway MPG, and 34.3 cubic feet w/ rear seat in standard position, 40.2 cubic w/ rear seat slid as far forward as it will go, and 67.3 cu. ft. w/ seats laid down and folded down cargo carrying volume, if you cannot get to a Dillard’s Private Customer when the doors open on Sale Day to fill the up cargo space with “femmes plumage” captured at mega-percentages off of normal retail prices?

Anywho, our friend requested an EMERGENCY NAVIGATION ASSIST from Prius Guru Watakushi-wa (me) to try to sweet talk and cajole the recalcitrant “NAV Lady” guide residing in her Pv3 to direct our friend to the Mall for a Dillard’s Cardholders “Private” Customer Sale Day. You see, “The NAV Lady” will not permit our friend to input the Dillard’s shopping destination address, located ~45-miles away in the Indian River Mall, into the Entune-NAV “My Destinations,” addresses so said “NAV Lady” can guide our friend to the Mall on that upcoming Sale Day.

NOTE: Florida State Road 60 (SR 60) runs East-West across the State of Florida between Vero Beach, on the East Coast, to Tampa, on the West Coast. In the City of Vero Beach, SR 60 is called “20th Street.” Google Maps also gives “20th Street” the alternate name of “Vero Avenue.” When SR 60 runs through Osceola County, the county adjoining Vero Beach’s Indian River County, it is called “Osceola Blvd” (ala the “Vero Ave” alternate name on Google Maps), hence, its alternate “Osceola” name on Bing Maps.

When I attempt to punch in the “6200” numerical street address for the Indian River Mall (Dillards) located on 20th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32966, the “NAV Lady’s” Entune “My Destinations” address number input screen “Grays Out” all numbers options offered except the numbers “4,” “5,” “8,” and “9.” Alas, no “6” is displayed as a number option to permit starting to type in the “6” of “6200” address number.

Using “State Road 60” as the street name “Grays Out” all numbers options except “1,” “2,” and “9,” which also makes typing in the “6” of “6200” impossible.

Using “Osceola Blvd” as the street name “Grays Out” all numbers options except “4,” “5,” and “8.” Here again, typing in the “6” of “6200” is not possible.

Using “Vero Avenue” as the street name also “Grays Out” all numbers preventing the typing in the “6” of “6200” or any address number.

If I learned one thing over my testosterone-fueled life, it is that woe be he or she [in this case, Toyota’s “Latently Defective” GPS NAV Database (i.e. “The NAV Lady”)], who is blind to a GEO-LOCATION and gets between or messes with the Point “A”-To-Point “B” navigation of a Sale-Minded woman on her Sale Day “Sortie-Mission.”

I had to do a quick “Work-Around” on the Entune NAV to turn what was an “Impossible Mission” for our friend into a “Very Possible Mission.” I foiled the “NAV Lady,” who is intent on keep our friend from making the 45-mile “NAV Lady Route Guided” run to Dillard’s – 6200 20th Street, Vero Beach, Florida 32966 – Indian River Mall on Sale Day.

Using the non-Grayed Out numbers “5,” “8,” and “9,” I entered “5988 20th Street, Vero Beach, Florida 32966into the “My Destinations” address screen of the Pv3’s Entune NAV. This will have the “NAV Lady” give our friend “Route Guidance,” from her Space Coast home, all the way to the terminus end of her Sale Adventure heading east down 20th Street to 5988 20th Street, which will guide her to the 6200 20th Street entrance to the Mall (and past it if she does not turn in before arriving at the programmed in 5988 20th Street destination).

I am scratching my head, and am trying to discern why Toyota’s “Illustrious” (cough, choke, gag) Entune NAV GPS Map Database has “Grayed Out” the “6XXX”Address Number Option for 20th Street in Vero Beach. I consider not permitting the number address of the Indian River Mall to be inputted into Entune NAV "My Destinations," a series of addresses that have been at that location for multiple decades, to be a "Latent GPS Database Defect" and Entune NAV input problem.

4. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have run into problems like this with many different nav systems. My usual fix is to use google maps to get latitude/longitude and then plug that into the nav system. I have no idea whether the Toyota system will accept lat/lon coordinates. (That's only one reason I bought a Two.)

5. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You can do Lat Long. And it's probably just not in the map database. Not a single one can be correct all the time.

6. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MBRGuru – Yes, one can go chase down the N 27-38’27”/W 080-27’24” LAT/LONG and punch it in, but our friend does not know LAT/LONG from Butkus, and should not have to do that with a “sophisticated embedded navigation system feature that helps you do everything,” which she paid an additional Mega-Buck Plus extra to have available to guide her from Point “A”-To-Point “B.”

Dismissing this dysfunctioning, gaping Entune GPS NAV Database hole with an over-the-shoulder, “And it's probably just not in the map database. Not a single one can be correct all the time” ignores the elephant in Toyota’s Entune NAV tent and lets Toyota off the hook. Duh-h-h…clearly, it, 6XXX, is not in the Entune navigation map database.

The larger question is why is a showroom fresh, $30K’ish 2012 Prius v, with Display Audio, and embedded Navigation and Entune with 6.1-in. touch-screen, integrated backup camera display, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers, SiriusXM Satellite Radio capability, HD Radio with iTunes Tagging, an auxiliary audio jack, a USB port with iPod connectivity and control, vehicle information with customizable settings, and hands-free phone capability, phone book access, advanced voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth wireless technology, “blind” to that series of GEO-LOCATIONS. A stretch of street number addresses geography that runs along 20th Street between 6000 and 6999 in Vero Beach, which has been developed and populated since 1996?

To add insult to injury, Toyota has the audacity to be prepared to have their dealers charge new 2012 Prius v owners $199± for the next Entune GPS NAV Database update, which may or may not have an update fix for the Entune NAV “Vero Beach, 20th Street between 6000 and 6999, Black Hole” or other similar "NAV Black Holes" across the U.S. This next Entune GPS NAV Database update, expected to be out sometime later this summer, should be gratis for 2012 Prius v owners to correct this “Latent GPS Map 'BLACK HOLE(S)' Database Defect,” which has been observed and is being reported by many Prius Vee’erz for and at multiple locations throughout the USA.

7. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if you can burrow down through the menus and find out who supplies the mapping information to Toyota. Many (most? all?) companies buy the maps as a package from Navteq.
    BTW, I am sympathetic to complaining about the expense of built in nav systems. My last vehicle had one, and while I liked it overall, the expense - and the fact that it was no better; possibly worse than my handheld unit, made me decide to stick with cheaper, portable technology.

8. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    not to add insult to injury, but my large screen droidx phone with google maps and nav features provide suprisingly accurate directions, and it updates itself free over the air via 3g or wifi. plus in the event it does get lost, it has a dial pad allowing me to call someone i know or 911 for assistance. granted, its not entirely free, with its monthly service fee, however...i saved 1000 off thre top when i ordered my 2.

9. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    MudmanRV – Your large screen Motorola Droid X with Google Maps and NAV sounds like it has great functionality. Now if we could just get it to whisper into the ear of the “NAV Lady” residing in our friends new 2012 Prius v Three, we would be home free.

The “Mission Impossible” challenge was to “program the ‘6200 20th Street, Vero Beach, Florida 32966’ address for the Indian River Mall into the ‘My Destinations’ of the Entune NAV Unit of your 2012 Vee.” I hoped my “Mission Impossible” request would have generated more responses from Prius Vee’erz who, when they read the initial request, would have trotted out to their garage to attempt a straight-forward try to type “6200 20th Street, Vero Beach, Florida 32966” into the Entune NAV System “My Destinations” screen of their Vee Beasties, without “cheating” using a Bluetooth Internet connection assist via Bing, etc. This would have exercised the Entune GPS Map Database in their Prius v to see if its GPS MAP Database was similarly suffering from the same GEO-POSITIONING “Black Hole” inadequacy as the one installed in our friends “v”onder “v”agon.