1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Just Stopped

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by varun, Apr 29, 2014.

1. varun

varun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius v 3 .Today my wife was dropping kids off and car was in parking mode , suddenly nothing was working. She was not able to do anything(change to drive or stop the car) but car was still running , people moved her car to the side of the street and then after 10mins she was able to stop the car and start it again .
    Not sure if this is related to the recall ,service folks are telling me my car is not in the recall list .
    Any advice appreciated

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a dealer check the error codes, and document the issue. Don't rule out some creative form of user error unless the error codes say different. Has nothing to do with any recalls.

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    A faulty brake light switch would prevent it going in to drive, but shouldn't stop her turning it off.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This might be something to do with the brake switch. When I had that problem, I remembered it wouldn't shut down properly. Your car is under warranty, you should just have it checked out at the dealer. No second guessing.

So what were you doing "parking mode" in the middle of the street? Then having people move you to the side.....

5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do have the dealer check it out, I had something similar happen when I first got my Prius, I finally figured out that it was driver error, new system of driving= confusion happens...

6. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree on possibility of driver error.
    A couple of times i've accidentally accelerated in reverse when i thought the car was in drive. No harm done in both cases but scared the heck out of me! Thought I was losing it but I think its partly the eletronic nature of the shift lever, it doesn't give that solid feedback of a normal car's shifter. Sometimes I guess i flick it over to drive but it doesn't quite go far enough to engage. I think I understand why this car has a reverse beep as default now, it has a very different "feel" when it comes to operation than a conventional car and even after 1.5 years of ownership i still have some habits to unlearn from my previous 12 years of driving "normal" cars.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this happen to my wife once. she probably had it in neutral. take it for a spin and check for yourself.

8. RebelAthena

RebelAthena New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I will be interested to hear what you find; although I'm a new prius v owner, I've struggled getting in and out of neutral.

9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Neutral, the one non-gear I've yet to master. LOL

A couple of times I've looked like an idiot at the car wash ;)