1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lower case for the Prius v) Molex Connector Pinouts

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Metatron, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Metatron

Metatron New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, no an uppercase) that a mouse had entered into the car through the Cabin Filter intake housing chewing a hole through that and upon entering the dash, proceeded to chew off the wires leading to a few molex connectors behind the passenger side kick panel. I have repaired most of the wires. But there is a connector where there are a pairs of identical colored wires. So I have no idea which wire actually belongs without ending up swapping the wires wrong.

Anybody know the pinouts of these connectors? It is possible that because these are identical color that it doesn't matter such as left/right door switches. It seems to me it would be a great idea anyway to start documenting the Pinouts of all these molex connectors for future mod's and accessories anyway.

Here is a picture of the housing it's on the bottom right side of the passenger side. Also there is a curious Yellow connector. So important it seems it has a special locking tab on it. I wonder if that is a Reset SRS connector.

[​IMG]

Here the actual connector I need the pinouts for...

Before... After...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

and a picture of the entire housing, with the mysterious yellow connector...

[​IMG]

Also anybody know the types of molex pins these connectors use and where to get a molex pin release tool?
    Radioshack has these. Will these work?
    D-Sub Pin Insertion and Extraction Tool - Radioshack

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your Dealership can help with wiring diagrams, pins and tooling if you are nice, but start with the service manager This is not something they would repair, but would replace the harness/s for a lot of money and more work than they likely want to deal with.

3. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are not Molex, but are proprietary to Toyota and its business partners, and were most likely designed and manufactured by Denso, which is partly owned by Toyota.

The crimp itself is a simple adaptation of the Amp Inc "F-Crimp".

The release tool (extractor) is also proprietary.

More than likely, Toyota dealers are reluctant to sell loose connector shells and pins because no customer could realistically be expected to purchase the required "application tooling" (crimper, inserter and extractor), although a generic "F-Crimp" crimping tool would very likely work.

After all, Toyota is still using the Amp Inc "F-Crimp" and its connectors for single-strand, heavy-gauge wiring within its vehicles.

F crimp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#3 PeterHaas, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Bill the Engineer likes this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just give the plug number to the folks I mentioned and play nice. They should give you a copy of the print/hook up list and part/tool numbers needed. They do stock the pins or can get them.

5. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Excellent information that I can use with my project!. I will be extending a number of cables to reach the new positions of the controls.

Bill