1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon...) Wagon (only) MPG - Please Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Oct 30, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like for Prius v owners to please post the results of their mpg observations. This is meant as a way for prospective buyers to gain insight in the v mpg capabilities given different conditions. We often field a large number of posts from new owners asking if their mpg numbers are normal. This thread could help them determine whether their numbers abnormal or not by comparing with other owners who drive in similar conditions. This is also a good place to brag about your best tank! I encourage you to use the Fuelly.com website for keeping track of your mpg, total fuel usage and costs. It can be very helpful in tracking trends in mpg, fuel cost or changes you have made in driving style or mods.

Please list your results using the following format:

Year of vehicle:
    Date:
    Miles driven:
    Gallons Pumped:
    Hand-Calculated MPG:
    Displayed MPG:
    Average Speed:
    Tire Size / Wheel size:
    Tire Brand / Model:
    Tire PSI (Front / Back):
    Seasonal Conditions: (please include A/C usage and temp setting if applicable)
    Commute Length:
    Hypermiling Techniques:
    Other: (this could explain why a tank was bad or good or other unusual conditions like a rain storm, new tires, lots of short trips, etc.)

1 person likes this.
  2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd add tire brand/model and tire PSI as two more entries. Some people don't know the importance of each and I've already seen threads about aftermarket wheels / different tires on the v (Wagon). Heck, might as well make it

Tire Size / Wheel size:
    Tire Brand / Model:
    Tire PSI (Front / Back):

People doing Winter / Summer sets would need to make extra notes in Other about the 2nd set.

1 person likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize the list is a bit long but the more information the better. Other owners will find this very. Useful so fill out as much as you can. :)

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOCATION should be near the top.

With this winter debut, that's going to be especially important.

Remember what happened when the Iconic model faced the same timing? Lots of articles from a variety of sources were published making the MPG seem terrible... never mentioning that was due to the affects of the cold season. Then when temps warmed up, nothing. New articles pointing out the big improvement to MPG with the snow gone never appeared. No apologies for misleading consumers were published either. It was quite a successful undermining effort.

2 people like this.
  5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    gasoline type ( e.g. 10% ethanol, 100% gas, 15% ethanol)...using pure gas gives a 10% to 5% boast in MPG over E10.

1 person likes this.
  6. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First 300 miles on Prius v. MPG display at 45.7 over hilly terrain. non agressive driving, not hypermileing, Average temps mid 40s to upper 50s. Tire pressure at nameplate recommendations. No A/C. 1 100 mile trip, a few 30 mile or less trips.[/QUOTE]
    Sorry I made this reply under the wrong post. Must be getting tired.

7. Wuster

Wuster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Only have 200 miles on it right now, but it's getting 45.7 mpg average. all commuter miles to and from work (60% city, 40 highway).

1 person likes this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it beat the EPA numbers. Regular Prius can easily beat 50 MPG.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It would also be interesting to see how calculated compares to displayed. (Thanks!) That is, once someone goes through a whole tank, LOL.

10. Wuster

Wuster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    yeah... no kidding. The fuel gauge has only dropped one bar so far... :)

11. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If its as bad as my 2010 III then 45=about 40 since 50=45 for me.

12. Flyman

Flyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We only have 246 miles on ours, on the 90 mile trip home from the dealer mostly on a windy backroad display read 37.9. Then after 3 or 4 days of my wife making short trips <5 miles many stops avg dropped to 35.1. Yesterday she made a 80 mile trip with 3 stops and avg is back to 37.6.
    She said she tried not to be as lead footed as she usually is, she drove 55-60 majority of the trip and at times it read 39.9 but would never tick up to 40. All said I'm happy!
    Temp was 45-50 f.

13. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just picked up my v on Saturday and drove in to work for the first time. My commute takes me from Bergen County in NJ to Westchester County north of New York City.

I am still pinching myself - the milage is unbelievable. I saw 50.5 MPG on my drive today. The traffic was very heavy due to sun glare and I did creep in EV mode for a fair bit. In my 2005 V6 Camry that I drove until today, I would have been lucky to be able to get 21 MPG in heavy traffic.

See here: Black Camry (Toyota Camry) | Fuelly

robertmaria likes this.
  14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius loves traffic congestion. Looking forward to your Prius v mileage on Fuelly.

15. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just have to share this:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the blurred photo - this was taken on my phone but the milage is pretty clear. I reset the stats before leaving the office and I got 58.5 MPG on my way back home! No congestion - just usual weekday traffic. This is incredible.

I am still running on the gas I got with the car from the dealer. I have to wait until the next fillup to start recording on Fuelly. At this rate, I may not be able to start on Fuelly until next week :)

16. easted

easted Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am now up to 500 mile on the ODO. The average on the mpg display for the 500 miles is 47.2 mpg. I did fill the tank today and the calculated mpg was 47.3 . For one of the trip mpg averages i got 48.2 displayed for 254 miles on the trip meter. This driving done on fairly hilly terrain, nonaggressive driving, temp. about 48 to 60 degrees. 99.9% of the driving in eco mode . Still very pleased with all aspects of this v.

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes the economy indicator will give inflated results under certain conditions. For example, last night, I reset a 3rd gen gage after the car was warmed up. Drove several miles, was looking at our old neighborhood. While tiptoeing throught the neighborhood, the gage read 70 MPGs. I knew it wasn't so accurate. Only 5 or 6 miles on the trip. After I got out on the main road, it soon came inline to about 57 MPG (this is 3rd gen).

Still, it's neat to see the gage spike up to 70 MPGs, but it settles out with more miles.

If you have a spell where you only have 2 miles trip, then stop for a long time, repeatedly ... it may only read about 30 MPG. Gas engine not happy until it warms up :)

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job!

I'm not surprised to see the v beating the EPA estimate. Only way conventional cars can reach their highway number is on extended highway trips (well, at least mine). Toss city miles at Prius and it beats the EPA number!

19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most impressive. Implication is you could match what I do in Gen-II (about 47 MPG life) by trying a little harder than I do to hyper-mile. Perhaps ECO mode helps a lot to beat EPA number. I have not seen a "v" yet but is sounding irresistable to me.

20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always been able to beat the EPA, until I got the Prius, but back then (pre-2008) the Prius was listed as 60 in the city, 51 on the highway, IIRC.

Interesting to see such high values on the 'v'. Looks promising!