1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius V making noise, and so far dealer services can't figure out. Pls help. Thanks

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john0404, Jul 6, 2017.

1. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    My Prius V is a 2015. It makes a noise when press on the break as shown in the two videos that I post it on Youtube (Video 1 link:
    and Video 2 link:
    ). The noise doesn't always happen. It will happen a couple of times daily. It seems that it happens more often when it is cold or wet. It often happens when I press on the break to turn on the power button, and also when the car has to make an quick/somewhat aggressive stops (for example, when it is going downhill, so the car is forced more to stop when press on the break). The sound will also occur when driving on a normal straight road too. But again, it doesn't happen all the time, it's a couple of time in a day. I went to different dealers to figure this out. The first time, I went to a Toyota dealer, and they checked, and they said they don't see any issues. A week later, I went back to the same Toyota dealer as the noise still persisted, and showed them a video of my issue, and they said that i need to do service maintenance on my rear breaks to fix it. As a week before, when the same Toyota dealer verified my car, no one mentioned about my rear breaks needing servicing, and also as the noise comes from the driver seat and not from the back end, I decided that I will look for additional opinions to make sure that service maintenance on the rear breaks is the solution to fix the noise before I agreed to do anything. I went to a private garage for their suggestions. They checked all my breaks, and they said that my breaks are a fine and that the breaks are not the issue. The private garage said that it might have something to do with Hybrid, or ABS, but for sure the breaks are still good, so they advise me that I should go to a Toyota to verify it. So right after, I went to another Toyota dealer to verify as the first Toyota dealer I went to had conflicting information within themselves (1st verification vs 2nd verification at the same Toyota dealer) and also when compare to 2nd verification vs the private garage. The other Toyota dealer that I went to checked the car and saw the videos, and they said that they don't see any issue. The second Toyota dealer also mentioned that my breaks are not the issue, they are still fine. But either way, despite what the videos show, they dont see any issues, so to come back next time if the sounds persist, but if they dont find the issue, although I still have 1 year left of warrantee and a video showing of my issue, the Toyota dealer said that i may be charged over 100$ to get it check up, if they still dont see issue. Currently, the noise still occurs a couple of time a day. The first time and the third time, I went to the Toyota delaers, they said that they dont see any problems, so I am afraid to go a 4th time to verify as I am afraid that I will be told the same thing again, and be charged for the verification. As long as someone can tell me that this noise is normal, and not to worry, your car is safe, I can live with the noise. But so far, the Toyota dealers didnt say it directly in this manner, instead they said they dont see any problem at this moment, and to come back if it persists. So I am posting 2 videos of the noise on Youtube, can someone help me to let me know if they may know what the issue is? or at least advise me that the car is safe, or that the noise isnt something dangerous? Your help is truly appreciated! Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long have you owned her?

how many miles? how long has she been making this sound?

does it come from the pedal area, or under the hood?

i would say grabby brakes due to rusty rotors, but not if it happens with the car stationary.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its "brakes", not "breaks".

Bottom line is that if the brakes are working as expected, don't waste time worrying about noises. Worry when they don't stop you.
    I don't hear anything in your video that's worrisome. Although it sounds like the anti-lock system engaging.

4. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for your concern, and these questions you asked to better understand the issue I am having. I bought the car new in June 2015, so had it for 2 years. There is around 35000 km. I noticed the noise more and more frequently since this past winter, so it was at least since a couple of months ago. It feels like the noise is coming from the pedal area. Yes, it happens when the car is stationary, as the noise occurs when I turn on the car by pressing the brake and then the power button, especially when it's cold or wet.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably your brake booster or the abs. If it's the abs I would expect to feel the brake pedal pulsing. There was a brake booster recall but I don't know the details. Your car probably does not have that issue; the dealer would see a recall almost immediately, One thing for sure, you don't want your BRAKES to BREAK.

(you can also edit your posts).

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is normal to hear the brake booster run at start up.

7. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    I am not much knowledgeable with hybrid cars, so it's good to hear assurance to not to be worried from someone who knows more about it. Thank you taking the time to read my concern, view the video and for your reply. Also thank you for pointing out the spelling mistake for the word brake.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one normal sound from the brake pedal that a lot of prius have is a sponge sound. hard to tell from the video, sounds a bit more like a clunk.

9. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for your reply. I dont feel the ABS pulsing when the noise occurs. If the brake booster is the cause, is it something that may be unsafe?

#9 john0404, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Ohid likes this.
  10. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    The sound is not a soft sound, so not a sponge type of sound. It's difficult to describe the sound... it's more of a hard sound, and not a soft sound.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, i meant to type spring, like a spring being stretched.

12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    In the first video, that didn't sound normal to me and I've driven 40k miles in mine.

In the second video I didn't hear anything but it was made more difficult by your varying the brake pedal pressure.

In defense of any mechanic, things defined by sounds that only happen sometimes are a devil to diagnose. And sounds travel through the chassis of the car so it could be a problem in the rear seeming to be from the front.

13. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You shouldn't expect to feel any pulsing in the brake pedal from ABS. That all happens WAY too fast to feel it. Makes a sort of a grinding noise.

14. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you for your advise. I will keep your advise in my min while continuing to research.

15. john0404

john0404 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Ah i see. It's cause in my old Honda Civic, I felt like a pulsing / trembling sensation when the ABS kicked in. If in a Prius, it makes a grinding noise when ABS occurs, in that case, it would explain the noise. I hope that is the case as it would answer my problem. Will keep an eye on it. thanks for your advises.

16. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius V makes the same noise. Doesn't really bother me honestly

17. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Modern ABS systems are completely different. The actuators pulse much faster - so fast in fact they can over-heat. Also the brake pedal is electronic so there's no actual feedback from the brakes to your foot.