1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prius v Prius Prius c Prius PIH Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) Impressions & Opinions

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by catgic, Mar 22, 2012.

1. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Gathered Fuel Miserz – Greetings all you new owners of the 2012 Prius cars with the government mandated Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS). You have owned and driven your new 2012s long enough to either have heard the VPNS or have had trouble hearing it or have not heard it at all, as may be the case.

What are your impressions and opinions of the automatic, Prius vehicle controlled and operated VPNS warning noise generation system?

Do you like Toyota’s implementation of the VPNS?

Do you have any anecdotal stories to tell us about the VPNS contributing to saving the lives of sight-impaired pedestrians, mall parking lot wandering grannies, unattended sprinting toddlers or driveway sleeping dogs and cats?

Except for the extra money I had to pay for the VPNS, as its cost is included in the 2012 Prius MSRP, I am neutral about it. 99.9% of time, I cannot hear it when it is suppose to be activated. I know it is making the VPNS noise, and functioning as it is designed to function, because I took it into the dealer right after I purchased my new 2012, and it checked out O.K. Since I cannot hear it, it is not a “NOISE†nuisance to me.

The 0.1% of the time when I can hear it, I can only just barely hear it like an audio version of a will-o'-the-wisp. I can detect the VPNS Warning Sound as it bounces off the interior walls of my garage, only if I back out in the EV Mode with the driver-side window rolled down.

I do not like Toyota’s implementation of a “WARNING SOUND†that cannot be heard 99.9% of the time. I would like to see a driver-operable “Up Volume Control†put into the VPNS.

So far, I cannot report that my VPNS has contributed to saving the lives of sight-impaired pedestrians, parking lot wandering grannies, errant toddlers or driveway sleeping dogs and cats? :plane:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Prius v Prius Prius c Prius PIH Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) Impressions & Opini

I like it. :)

Wolfman33 and cycledrum like this.
  3. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Re: Prius v Prius Prius c Prius PIH Vehicle Proximity Notification System (VPNS) Impressions & Opini

I can hardly hear it with my music on... But one person commented it sounded like a saucer was floating in when I was driving in. It's really hard to hear it in the v.

4. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

It sounds like piloting a shuttlecraft from Star Trek.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

whole point of the system that you dont hear it inside the car, but someone in front of it will hear it. it is very directional.

6. RandomLurker

RandomLurker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

This is why air horns were invented :D

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It's a good thing as it's one less thing for others will complain bitterly about. The 'I hate Prius' sites are filled with people who complain about Prius that snuck up on them or almost ran them over. Check it out.

8. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

F8L - Do you "Like It" because you can hear it or do you "Like It" because you cannot hear it or you "LIke It" because ???!???

9. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

ryogajyc - I would not really know because I hear silence 99.9% of the time, and very faint barely audible "Somthin' Sounds" the other 0.1% of the time. I think the stealth cloaking feature is activated on my vee-shuttle.

10. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Keiichi - Alas, an honest man on how hard it is to hear it. I wish I could at least get some Star Trek Shuttlecraft sounds out of it to give me a bit of background music when I am stealthily tooling along.

Yes, I have Security Gate Guards tell me they can hear such similar "Saucer-esque or Shuttlecraft-like Sounds" it reportedly emits. However, I mostly have to take their words for it.

Its high-tech sound has not slowed down pedestrians in parking lots from jumping into my back-up path when I am backing out of parking slots.

11. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

To be honest catgic... Even with my Nissan Sentra, WITH a motor, hasn't stopped pedestrians from jumping out from behind my car when I am trying to back out...

12. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

I don't like it. It has a really cheesy 80's sci-fi futuristic sound to it.
    The sound reminds me of Star Trek TNG. The Enterprise's tractor beam.

With the windows up you hardly notice when you are in the car, but with the windows down it is definitely noticeable.
    I miss the sound of silence with my last Prius.

Anyway to turn it off?

13. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

You are aware of the reason why the VPNS is installed into the Prius? The point is so people are aware of your vehicle at low speeds such as below 15 MPH which can do some harm to people still. Turning it off will leave you open to being sued for accidental injury.

Also the reason it was installed is because there were complaints about how people were getting hit by the Prius because they couldn't HEAR the car as it was coming by.

Also, at some universities, that use Electric Carts, have also complained about how often students don't pay attention to the carts because they don't make enough noise for people to look up and notice.

Just be aware, you are more than welcome to remove it if you know where it is or disable it, just be aware that you do open yourself to a lawsuit if you accidentally hit someone who didn't know your car was there.

14. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A

"Also the reason it was installed is because there were complaints about how people were getting hit by the Prius because they couldn't HEAR the car as it was coming by."

I would like to see the statistics & evidence for people getting hit by Prius's compared to other vehicles that are gas engines and see if there is in fact any differences.
    I've had a Prius before and never once had came close to hitting a pedestrian.

"disable it, just be aware that you do open yourself....."
    point taken.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If you want more background info on WHY this feature was installed:

Copy and paste the following into your Google browser:

site:priuschat.com bell the hybrid priuschat

16. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Wth is this for real or did you edit t he sound ?
    sounds like a space ship

is this the blind poeple EV noise maker?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

No sound editing. This is how it really sounds but please note that this is much louder than it generally sounds because it was videoed in a garage with cement flooring. If you are in a VERY quiet area like a parking garage or a residential street in the middle of the night it may be considered loud. Otherwise It's no big deal IMO.

18. Mocmylov

Mocmylov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't bother me at all. I only hear it in drive thru's with my windows down and stereo turned low, and even then I'm not that annoyed by it. And if it annoys pedestrians, then good. It's doing it's job I'd say.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

mm ok wel i dont like the sound
    its annoying when you here it al the time.
    al those nice city streets without the noise of those ICE cars and you can hear the birds singing and now you have this..... :mad:

20. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/37153-hitting-pedestrians.html

Do Hybrids Hit Pedestrians More Often? NHTSA Report May Say So

It is also put in there for visually impaired people to be a little more aware that the vehicle is there. As mentioned by one person here:

Hybrids too quiet? - Car Talk

And lastly, consider this:

Look at around 2:35, which harps kids and blind people. While this is an old video, since it refers to the older Nickel Cadmium Rechargable batteries versus the Nickel Metal Hydride battery, the point of the VPNS is harped on the simple fact people need to know something is coming.